Spring Sports 2012

Orono High School participates in several spring sports including baseball, track, golf, rugby, lacrosse, and softball.

While baseball may be considered the American pastime, at Orono High School baseball has little support at their games other than parents of the players. “Parents are great supporters, but it would definitely be nice to get some student fans.  It feels nice to play when people are supporting you,” said OHS senior captain Will Sperduto.

The season has been going well with a recent win against Annandale.  “Every team we have faced, we have had the ability to take. We haven’t been performing top notch, but we have a lot of potential, and as the season progresses I expect us to keep winning,” said OHS senior baseball player Jack Halverson. This far into the season, the boys baseball team is 10-9, which puts them in fifth place.

Track and field is a spring sport that is exceptionally unique due to being both a team and individual sport.  There are team options such as the 4x100m relay up to the 4x800m relay, and individual options such as the 100m dash or the pole vault. “Track is unique because not only are you racing the competitors next to you, but also trying to beat your own individual time,” said senior track athlete Samantha White.

This year’s track and field team has large shoes to fill. Last year, Orono high school’s track and field team broke several school records including the 4x800m relay, the long jump, and the pole vault. Chase Myhran and Chris Whitmore are both school record holders who graduated last year, however, Paul Brauchle and Justin Doop were both on the team that broke the school’s 4x800m relay last year.

Girls and boys golf are also both spring sports.  The season got an early start this year with the exceptionally warm weather. Thus far the girls golf team has placed between 3rd and 5th place in nearly all their conference matches.  “Its not much of a high school spectator sport.  Basketball and football are about aggression, but golf is about focus and mental concentration.  Nevertheless, all the girls on the team have a great time,” said senior girls golf captain Tori Wilson.

An entertaining girls sport to watch is rugby.  With very little padding and gear, these girls fight for the win in a game resembling football.  “We usually have about three to four players get injured throughout the season but the amount of injuries this year has been exceptionally high,”  said senior rugby captain Alex Thies.

Although this sport may be exceptionally rough, they manage to remain close. “It’s like a family atmosphere. Although this year we haven’t been as successful in the competition aspect, we are all very close,” said Thies.  A sport such as this requires great leadership and an ability to increase morale.  In a message to future captains, Thies says, “Don’t let anything bring you down. Keep your head held high and be there for the team. Stay positive.”

Girls lacrosse has had a struggling season.  “We have six seniors, one junior, and the rest of the team is made up of underclassmen,” said senior lacrosse captain Courtney Cahow.  According to the MSHSL website, this year’s girls lacrosse team has a record of 5 wins and 8 losses.  “We are trying to build up our team with a middle school team. When these girls reach high school, they will have that much more experience,” said Cahow.

This year’s softball team has had an outstanding season. Even with a new coach, four freshmen, and seven sophomores, they have have maintained a record of 19 wins and only one loss. “There is only a bright future for this team.  With such a young group, the next few years can only get better, and I think our coach will take us there,” said senior captain Jessica Flakne. “This is a year to remember.”

Spencer Amstrup is the Subscriptions Editor for The Spartan Speaks