Mens and Womens Lacrosse Look Ahead to an Exciting Season

Orono Women’s and Men’s Lacrosse season is coming around the corner and both teams are preparing for their first game. The girl’s first game was April 11th vs Eden Prairie and the boy’s first game is against Benilde Saint Margaret’s on April 16th.

The Women’s lacrosse team is coached by Jane Kolar and Virginia Maguire and the captains are seniors Lila James and Haley Holzschuh.

The girl’s had a very good season last year and it might have been their best season in a long time.

“Last year was the most successful season ever, it was the furthest we have ever made it in sections,” Captain Haley Holzschuh stated.

The Men’s team is coached by Cory Childs and the captains are seniors, Caden Barnes, Gage Kracht and junior Carson Lewis. The boy’s team went 6-9 last year and there is hope that this season will be more successful.

“Last year we went 6-9 with 5 one goal losses so a couple of bounces and we would have had a completely different season but unfortunately we couldn’t win under the pressure,” Captain Caden Barnes said.

“I think this is the team that will bring Orono Lacrosse back to state for the first time ever since 2013. We all love to win but more importantly we all hate losing and are hungry to get that bitter taste of defeat out of our mouths. This season is going to be more successful because we have a strong experienced team that is super anxious to win,” Captains Caden Barnes and Gage Kratch said.

The Girl’s team went 9-6 last season and just like the boy’s, they are determined to have a better season.

“I am not sure how this season will go, we have a good group of girls that will do great things,” Senior Hailee Rahn said.

Captain Haley Holzschuh thinks that,

“This season will be more successful than last year because we have some new girl’s this year who I think are going to really help our team.”

Both teams have been working hard at practice and are devoted to this sport. Both teams also have amazing captains who will lead their teams to victory this season.

Both Caden Barnes and Haley Holzschuh received the jersey number 60 for Jake Anderson this season. They both have demonstrated leadership, inclusiveness and sportsmanship throughout their high school careers.