Orono Basketball Making an Impression

Orono Basketball Making an Impression

The Orono girls and boys basketball teams have started off their seasons with a bang. As impressive as the basketball teams are, the individual athletes are incredibly impressive as well. They are intelligent, friendly, sincere, and earnest for the season to follow. In athletes’ leading footsteps, both teams repeatedly find a way to achieve greatness together.

Boys Varsity Basketball: As of Jan. 6, the boys varsity team is ranked third in the Class AAA with a record of 11-2. The boys are currently behind Red Wing (11-0) in their class at number two, and Minneapolis De La Salle (6-3) in their section at number one out of ten teams in section six.

The OHS boys varsity basketball is currently amongst four of the top ten teams in the state in their section: Minneapolis De La Salle, Waconia (10-2), and Delano (11-2).

Also, Benilde St. Margaret’s and Minneapolis Patrick Henry High School are in the same section as Orono, these two teams are amongst the top 15 teams in the state. In other words, the OBB team is in the most difficult section out of any Class in the state, crowded with top 10 talent.

As the boys come to face their most challenging competitors of the season, their mental toughness and teamwork must aid their teammates at times of difficulty in these games to come. Coach Barry Wohler guided his OBB team to win state in 2011, and OBB has worked their way to State for the past two years in a row.

Without the help of the coaches, teammates, fans, and managers, OBB program would not be as incredibly successful as they have grown to be.

The program has created successful futures for many athletes. Sam Sustacek, Class of 2016, recently committed to the University of Chicago to play basketball.

“The combination between academics and athletics was just what I wanted, and I love the area around the university,” said senior Sam Sustacek.

Girls Varsity Basketball: As of Jan. 7, OGB is ranked number nine in the state and they are 11-2. There is a great deal of outstanding student athletes on this team who play multiple sports that have incredible futures in front of them, along with OBB.

I love OGB because we are such a close knit group of friends first, and teammates second, that we play well together and have fun while doing it.

— Tori Andrew, junior

Senior Danielle Jorgenson is currently committed to Cornell University in Ithaca, and she plans on continuing her basketball career at this prestigious university. Danielle is also on the OWS team in the Fall, she helped her teammates place second at the State Tournament in 2015-16.

Senior Meghan Mandel committed to Marquette University in Milwaukee, yet again quite the student athlete. As of the week of January 4th, Meghan was in the running for Aspire athlete of the week. The OGB team is an wonderful group of well-rounded student athletes, and they all contribute to the success of the team.

As of Jan. 7, Mandel won the Aspire athlete of the week, and she scored her 1,000th point in her game against Chanhassen. Congrats to Meghan!  

Senior Hannah Striggow has also been in touch with various volleyball coaches, as she was captain of the OVB team this past Fall and led her fellow teammates to successes along the season. Hannah is a dual athlete, exceptional student, and a wonderful teammate.

“I love OGB because we are such a close knit group of friends first, and teammates second, that we play well together and have fun while doing it,” said junior Tori Andrew.

Coach Ellen Wiese has been the OGB coach for quite a while, and teaches these talented athletes how to perfect their basketball techniques and leadership on and off the court.