Spartan Excellence: Recap of OHS Winter Sports Season 2024

Paul Brunner

The 2024 OHS winter sports season is officially in the books. This was a very successful season as many teams and individuals qualified for state tournaments. Let’s take a closer look:

Boys Basketball:
The Boys Basketball team had a great season, making it to the state tournament with a buzzer beater in double overtime by junior Nolan Groves. Nolan set the school record for most points scored in a game with 50 points in a win against St. Louis Park in early February, later breaking that record again with 53 points during a win against Robbinsdale Cooper on March 6th.

“I most definitely enjoyed watching Nolan Groves dominate the opposing team and the insane plays that he would make,” said junior Jack Kramer.

Boys Basketball ended the season with a 19-12 record.

Girls Basketball:
The Girls Basketball team beat Robbinsdale Cooper in the section quarterfinals, but later lost to Delano in the section semi-finals. Junior Mya Moore reached 1000 points during a game against Chanhassen on January 27th.

“Everyone was super excited and jumping for joy with her and super excited to celebrate that milestone with her,” said Junior Sophie Staloch.

They ended the season with a 16-12 record.

Boys Hockey:
The Boys Hockey team advanced to the state tournament with a win over Minneapolis in the section final game, but fell short to Mahtomedi in the first round. The Boys would go on to beat Alexandria and then Northfield to win the consolation championship. They ended the season with a 22-9-0 record.

Girls Hockey:
The Girls Hockey team became section champs with a win against Mound Westonka in the section final game. They went on to beat Willmar in the state quarterfinals, but lost to Dodge County in the semi-finals. The girls were able to secure 3rd place with a win over Holy Angels in the following game. They ended the season with a 22-7-1 record.

Dance:
Aside from becoming the 2023 Metro West Conference Champions, Jazz Dance Team got 2nd in state and Kick Dance Team got 5th.
“Our Dancers are incredibly dedicated and self-motivated. They come in early and stay late to practice, train at studios, review with teammates – They put in the work to reach their goals” reflected co-head coaches Meghan Eder and Mackenzie Iversen.

Boys Swim & Dive:
Boys Swim & Dive Team had 7 swimmers and 1 diver advance to the state swim meet. The team placed 5th in state finals.

“I was proud of all my teammates and them getting all best times and getting better over the whole season,” said eighth-grader Mishe Long.

Wrestling:
The wrestling team had one wrestler, Brady McPherson advance to the state tournament. Unfortunately, he lost in the first round.

“What I enjoyed the most this season was probably just hanging out with friends on the team,” said senior Tamer Abukhadra.

Alpine Ski:

The Boys Alpine Ski team had 3 state qualifiers, Jack Shideman, Fletcher Stoen, and Jonathan Burns. They placed 3rd, 7th, and 16th respectively.

Nordic Ski:
The Boys Nordic Ski team became the Metro West Conference Champions and had 1 individual, Drew Huotari, and 2 relay members, Walter Holmes and Johnny DiPrima, qualify for state. They placed 25th and 3rd respectively. The Girls Nordic Ski team had 2 people, Erica Kazin and Sindri Bonner, qualify for state. They placed 6th and 42nd respectively.

Overall, OHS had an amazing winter sports season. Congratulations Spartans!