Technology Policy

According to the Orono High School Handbook, the use of personal devices such as laptops, iPods, iPads, Nooks, Kindles, and smartphones/cell phones during school hours are permitted. However, they are to be used appropriately, respectfully, and responsibly.

The technology rules in classrooms are that they are to not be used during class and only be in use during appropriate work times or for academic purposes. This is not always the case.

Technology integration coordinator, Penny Pease said that there are a sets of policies are that specific to each building and the students in each building. “For example, the intermediate school has more restrictions on personal devices than the middle school and the middle school has more restrictions than the high school,” Pease said.

Pease also said that each school has coordinators within each school who decides specifically what the rules are. In the high school it is Principal Dave Benson and Associate Principal Caryn Boyd.

A survey on the technology policy in Orono, many students responded and said that there are inconsistencies in how the rule is enforced.  “I know that certain teachers don’t care or don’t get upset with students if they see cell phones,” senior Kristie Tunheim said.

Other students who took the survey said that there are specific teachers who are very strict about the policy such as Ms. Herring, Mr. Herring, Mr. Smalling, and Mr. Arnold. These were just a couple of the names that showed up frequently.

The technology rules will continue to stay in place and there are no future plans to change the rules.