Super Tuesday in Review: Trump and Biden Win Big, Haley Drops Out

Leila Register / NBC News; Getty Images
(From left to right) Trump, Biden, Haley

Super Tuesday 2024 is now in the books. Former President Donald Trump won 14 states out of the 15 states with delegates up for grabs, dominating his last major rival, former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, who only won Vermont. Current President Joe Biden won resoundingly on the Democratic side, winning every state, only losing the U.S. territory of American Samoa to the little-known presidential candidate Jason Palmer. Let’s take a closer look:

The Republican Side:

Former President Trump won every state on Super Tuesday, except Vermont. Haley narrowly edged him out 50.2% to 45.9%, as of Wednesday, March 6th. This means that Trump has won every contest of this primary season so far besides Washington D.C. and Vermont. This brings the total delegate count to 995 for Trump and 89 for Haley.
The lack of a clear path forward impelled Haley to suspend her presidential campaign on Wednesday. “I am filled with the gratitude for the outpouring of support we’ve received from all across our great country, but the time has now come to suspend my campaign,” Haley said during a speech on Wednesday. “It is now up to Donald Trump to earn the votes of those in our party and beyond it who did not support him, and I hope he does that. At its best, politics is about bringing people into your cause, not turning them away. And our conservative cause badly needs more people. This is now his time for choosing,” Haley said, stopping short of endorsing Trump.
Trump is now the presumptive nominee of the Republican party for the 2024 presidential election, as none of his previous major rivals remain in the race.

The Democratic Side:

President Joe Biden won all contests on Super Tuesday, with the exception of American Samoa, which he lost to the little-known presidential candidate Jason Palmer. This brings the total delegate count to 1,497 for Biden, 7 uncommitted, and 3 for Palmer.
MN Rep Dean Phillips announced the suspension of his 2024 presidential campaign after failing to garner above 10% in any Super Tuesday state.“Clearly and convincingly Democratic primary voters have opined that I’m not that guy […] I invite, I encourage and will do everything humanly possible to ensure Joe Biden’s reelection this November,” Phillips said on Wednesday.
Biden now is the presumptive Democratic nominee for the 2024 presidential election, as his major rivals, author Marianne Williamson and entrepreneur Jason Palmer all have no clear path to the nomination.

What about Minnesota?

Trump won the Republican Minnesota Primary with 69.1% of the vote. Haley came in second with 28.8%. Biden won the Democratic Minnesota Primary with 70.7% of the vote. Uncommitted came in second with 18.9% of the vote, Phillips in third with 7.8%, and Williamson in fourth with 1.4%. The uncommitted vote comes mostly from voters who dislike Biden’s handling of Hamas’ war on Israel. Usually, an uncommitted vote of this size would be seen as a major problem for a candidate, however, Minnesota is expected to choose Biden over Trump in the general election, so the Biden campaign is not worried about this. Minnesota has voted entirely Democratic since 1972, and that is not expected to change any time soon.

What to Expect Next

Now that both parties have their presumptive candidates chosen, the stage is set for the general election on November 5th. Trump will officially become the Republican candidate for president during the Republican National Convention that runs from July 15th to July 18th. Biden will officially become the Democratic candidate for president during the Democratic National Convention that runs from August 19th to August 22nd. Trump and Biden will campaign for the next 8 months trying to win voters over. This will be a very close election so everything these candidates do will matter.