The New Hampshire Primaries: Paving the Path to the White House

Intelligencer
Marianne Williamson (left), “Write-In Joe Biden” (middle), Dean Phillips (right)

The New Hampshire primary results for the 2024 election are in. Let’s take a look:

The Republican Side:

Former president Donald Trump won the Republican primary in New Hampshire on Tuesday with 54.4% of the vote. Former United Nations Ambassador and South Carolina governor Nikki Haley won 43.3% of the vote. In order to receive the Republican Party’s nomination for the presidency, a candidate must win 1,215 out of 2,429 delegates. Delegates are won from caucuses/primaries, and states offer different amounts of delegates depending on the state’s population. New Hampshire had 22 delegates up for grabs. Delegates are awarded proportionally based on percentage of the vote in Iowa, meaning Trump took home 12 delegates and Nikki Haley took home 9. This means that Trump has a total of 32 delegates, Haley has 17, Florida governor Ron DeSantis has 9, and biotech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy has 3. DeSantis dropped out of the race on January 21st due to lackluster polling and no clear path to the nomination. Ramaswamy dropped out shortly after the results of the Iowa caucuses were released for the same reasons. Both candidates endorsed Trump for the nomination. Their delegates will be dispersed to the remaining candidate(s) during the Republican National Convention from July 15, 2024 to July 18.

The Democratic Side:

Incumbent president Joe Biden won the Democratic primary in New Hampshire with 67.3% of the vote. Minnesota Congressman Dean Phillips came in second with 19.5% of the vote, and author Marianne Williamson came in third with 4.6% of the vote. Due to a dispute between the state of New Hampshire and the Democratic Party, there will be no delegates awarded to any of these candidates from this contest during the Democratic National Convention from August 19 to 22. Also, because of this dispute, Biden did not appear on the ballot, and all votes cast for him were write-ins.

What to Expect Next

There will be 3 Democratic primaries during February in the states of South Carolina, Nevada, and Michigan. Likewise, there will be 4 Republican primaries during February also in the states of Nevada, South Carolina, and Michigan in that order. There will also be a republican primary in the U.S. territory of the Virgin Islands. The Republican primary in Michigan will take place on the same day as the Democratic primary in Michigan. The strong showing from Biden in New Hampshire indicates that he will most likely win the Democratic nomination for President of the United States. Although Haley outperformed expectations in New Hampshire, she faces an uphill battle to receive the nomination, as Trump still holds a commanding lead against her in South Carolina, Haley’s home state. Haley will not appear on the ballot in Nevada as she did not pay the $55,000 required to be on it, guaranteeing a Trump victory.