OMW swim and dive team reigns undefeated

Talia Zadeh
Assistant Editor-in-Chief

The Orono-Mound Westonka boy’s swim and dive team are well into their season and are currently undeafeted. The team consists of 23 boys from Mound and Orono, coach Pete Buecher and assistant coach Andrew Eggergluss, and four captains, senior Trent Mock, senior Joe Duxbury, senior Cole Easely (Mound), and  junior Kelvin Hanson.

The season started Nov. 29 and will go into the end in the spring. “The season is long and tiring, but fun,” commented sophomore Mitch Miller. Practice is every day after school for three hours and on Saturday mornings from seven to nine. “I just don’t get why we need to have practice at seven in the morning on Saturdays, why not in the afternoon?” stated junior Ben Hacker. The team has dual meets against other teams on Tuesdays and Thursdays, while Saturday’s consist of invitational meets. The Simely invitational was a good demonstration of the boys talent, they won first place by over a hundred points. “We tried our best and it paid off in the end,” stated Miller.

“Most meets last from 2-3 hours, but invitationals can go much longer.” stated Miller. Still, long practices didn’t keep the boys from eagerly attending a trip to Florida.

Every other Winter Break, the swim and dive team heads to Florida for swim training and a break from the biter cold. The team trip has happened twice and the team looks forward to continuing the tradition.

Bleaching their hair for sections and state is another tradition the team keeps up. “I really don’t know why we do it, but it’s good team bonding,” stated Miller. “It’s fun, I look forward to it every year,” added Hacker.

The boys look to finish the season out strong with the hope of competing at the section meet and qualifying for state.