Orono Girls Hockey Skates into State

Frank Landis

Orono Women’s Hockey team wins section game, qualifying them for state.

After a season full of victories, the Orono Girls Hockey team won their section championship in a 5-1 victory against the Academy of Holy Angels. This qualifies OGH for the state championship, which is the first time the team will be making an appearance.

“We are really excited to go to state this year. We have all worked really hard this year, and have really grown as a team. I’m excited for the game, but also nervous since it is my senior year,” senior Hockey player Mia Lopez said.

The state competition is taking place at the Xcel Energy Center, located in St. Paul, Minnesota, on Wednesday, Feb. 23, at 11:00 am. The first game is against Mankato East.

“I am excited for the team because we are making history, and for what’s to come. I am sad that I can’t be on the ice, but I’m glad to be a part of it,” sophomore player Grace Bickett said.

Due to an injury at the beginning of the season, Bickett has been unable to play, but still shows her support for her team and is present at every game.

In accordance with state sporting school policies, students who have taken the proper steps of parental permission, via a permission slip, will be dismissed from the school day. Due to the staffing shortage, no fan bus will be provided for the game on Wednesday. A fan bus is still in talks for if the girls advance to play again this Friday, Feb. 25. More information to come.

It’s important that students comply with the Xcel Energy Center rules and regulations. Students must wear face coverings at all times, due to the city of Saint Paul Emergency Executive Order 2022-3. Additionally, cash and bags are permitted in the facility, only Apple and Google Pay are accepted for parking, retail and concession transactions.