Walker Art Center offers new exhibits for students

The+outside+of+the+Walker+Art+Museum.+

Maya Gardiner

The outside of the Walker Art Museum.

Mackenzie Iversen, Business Manager

As Mother Nature continues with the hard hitting chills, it may be tempting to stay at home on the weekends and zone out with Netflix. Instead, a short trip to the Walker Art Center may be just what the doctor ordered.

Orono students have usually visited the Walker Art Center at least once by the time they graduate. The museum may possess characteristics today that wouldn’t have caught people’s attention as kids.

With every different hall, there is a different style and a different point of view. It is almost guaranteed that there will be something that appeals to everyone.

There are traveling exhibitions that move from museum to museum around the world. Luckily for Minnesota, some of them make a stop at the Walker Art Center.

Currently on exhibition is Album: Cinematheque Tangier, a project by Yto Barrada. It features multimedia, photographs, and 3-D pieces that give connection to where Yto Barrada grew up, Tangier.

Another exhibit is Jim Hodges: Give More Than You Take. It combines photography, drawing, and more significantly–large scale room pieces that will amaze. In all, there are over 75 pieces from the past 27 years.

Teenagers get into the museum for free, but the Walker Art Center has also created some other dynamic pricing promotions.

The two most successful events being the “Target Free Thursday Nights” and the “Free First Saturdays”.

Target Free Thursday Nights are self-explanatory. Visitors can visit for free between the hours of 5 and 9 p.m.

Free First Saturdays is an event on every first Saturday of the month.

Also offered are children’s activities and play performances at the Children’s Theater, which is adjacent to the galleries.

If walking through galleries doesn’t sound appealing, then take a look at the performances on their online calendar.  Incoming performers include the Trisha Brown Dance Company, Companhia Urbana de Danca and Luciana Achugar.

The Walker Art Center offers a fresh activity for high school students, and gives them an opportunity to learn while having fun.

For more information on hours, events and admission, please visit the Walker Art Center website.