“Big brother” is watching you

Orono has been a district that has steered away from video surveillance within the schools. 86 percent of high schools in the United States use security cameras to monitor their schools, according to Scholastic.com. So why has the district decided to install video cameras now?

“I suggested this idea about three years ago, [but] the district is finally acting on it now,” Orono Police Liaison Officer Susan Schultz said. “It is meant to be a security feature for kids and school property.”

“[The cameras] will be helpful tools to assist in preventing crime or a suspicious individual. It is a preventative measure taken by the school to provide safety for students and to help with truancies,” Schultz said.

Due to vandalism, truancies and thefts, the district office feels the need to install video cameras throughout the school. The high school will do a trial run with the cameras, and they will be added to the rest of the schools in the district at a later time.

Orono students will have an adjustment period of getting used to the presence of the new cameras. “For the kids who never really acted out, it won’t be much of a difference, but for some kids, it will be a major adjustment,” junior Kiera Nelson said.

The administration will begin by implementing video surveillance of the doors by the main office and of the doors by the mezzanine.

“There have been a lot of issues with students propping the doors open with items (pencils, wood chips, etc.), meaning anyone is allowed access to the building, therefore causing a security issue,” Schultz said. “Also, there have been students who have broken and vandalized the senior doors. That is why video surveillance is important in that area.”

Although the staff feels as if installing cameras will lead to a safer school, some students feel the cameras are unfair.

“[There are] certain kids that screw up and the school should trust us, students, that we will not follow the poor decisions [of others] and [the school should] give us, students, another chance,” junior Cam Paul said.

As of now, only Principal Dave Benson, the police and a select few staff members will have access to the video surveillance; however, the footage will not be monitored at all times.

“If we have suspicion of something or need proof, that’s when we will go to the videos,” Schultz said.

The video cameras were originally supposed to be installed the day students returned from Thanksgiving Break, however, the installation was delayed.

“I think it will benefit the school because it will put accountability on the students,” business teacher Leslie O’Meara said.

The video cameras will not always be noticeable. They will be on the ceiling and will resemble a black globe.

“The cameras will benefit the school. It will not only help with monitoring who is going in and out of the school, but also what is going on inside of the school to make sure that all students are safe,” senior Madi Arends said.