Students find stress in part-time jobs

Students who work gain independence, confidence and stress.

High school is a time for students to start preparing for college academically, mentally, and financially.

Having a part-time job in high school can have both positive and negative effects on students. Responsibility, time and money management, and a take on the real world are all key concepts students can intake from taking on the role of a part-time job.

According to Jennifer Warner, WebMD Researcher, substance abuse, decreasing academic performance, and a decrease in effort are commonly found in students who work long hours while in high school.

“It is hard to get all homework done when I have to be at my job, working,” senior Hannah Nielsen said. Nielsen is also involved with HOLA and LGBTA. Nielsen works at the Mann Cinema 12 in Plymouth. “I work around 20 to 25 hours a week,” Nielsen said, “I would like to work more but it might be too much to handle with school,” Nielsen said.

According to the American Psychological Association, the major causes of stress are caused by work and money.

Having a job may be very beneficial but students are finding themselves with higher stress levels.
According to The American Institute of Stress, stress can show effects on skin like hives or rashes, and can cause insomnia. Also, muscles can tense up for long periods of time which can lead to tension headaches.

“I have no break to cool down so the stress builds up. On days I do not work I am 100 percent stress free,” senior Madison Dunkley said. Dunkley works in retail and decided to get a job to earn extra money and save up for college.

“With our attention spans these days we always have to be doing something. Like going to bed, the time we are supposed to be doing nothing but resting, we always have our phones next to us. We need to shut down and relax,” junior Sam Fryer said.

Students have found that being involved with sports, extracurricular activities, and having a job teaches them time management.
Balancing school work with activities outside of school comes easy to some students, but to others may be a challenge.

“It [having a job] helps build character and responsibility and discipline,” senior Andrew Johnson said.

According to The College Board, students who work tend to have more independence, confidence, and obtain better life skills.

More students nowadays are expected to pay for their own daily expenses, which leads to the need to get a job.

“I need the money because I have to pay for my gas. Another reason is because I need to make money to save for college,” Nielsen said. “I love my job and love working at the theatre, because over time I have become closer to my co-workers and we are now like a family.”

Parents tend to cut back on the amount of money they give to their children when they reach a certain age. Spending money and college are two of the most common reasons why students get a part-time job in high school.

Overall, students have seen both positive and negative effects of having a job. Having a job gives students experience for the future.