Orono Ski Team brings ski community together

Saturday November 3rd was a big night for all of the twin cities. Big time conecert’s, going on at multiple high volume venues all for a much cheaper price than previously charged for these bands. But there was one event that didn’t get all the press that was still a big one for the ski community. The Orono Alpine Ski Team hosted the Minnesota premiere of Matchstick Productions annual ski film Super Heroes of Stoke. It was a fundraiser to buy important equipment for the ski team to be able to practice.

“Skiing is an expensive sport, if you don’t have the right gear, you can’t practice,” said head coach of the alpine ski team Jay Weinand.

The draw that the event had to the ski community was the most important part though. People came to see the movie from all over the twin cities, as far away as Whitebear Lake, a 45 minute drive. There were also other schools ski team members from more local schools, such as Wayzta High School, Mound Westonka High School and others.

“The amount of attention that this event got was incredible, it really shows a lot about how dedicated most skiers and even snowboarders are to their sport and how they want to see it grow,” said an event attendee.

The first showing of the movie was at 6:00 and there were over 100 people in attendance to it. The movies were both started off with an intro by some of the captains and then free giveaways for everyone in attendance. Many local shops and businesses sponsored the event with giveaways. The second showing of the movie took place at 8:30 and had a slightly lower attendance but a much higher energy level.

“People were cheering every time that a skier in the film landed a trick or did something cool,” said one of the hosts of the event Keller Hickok, “you just don’t see that at any other movies or events that you go to.”

Overall the ski team was able to raise just enough money to cover the costs of their new equipment. We wish them good luck as they head into this season.

httpv://youtu.be/0w4XZGMMmOk
A slideshow with some pictures from the event by Woody Hust

Woody Hust
Sports Editor For The Spartan Speaks