Orono Student Writes Play to be Performed

This years drama one-act play has been written by a student. Read further to learn more.
Greta Rolfzen
This year’s drama one-act play has been written by a student. Read further to learn more.

This Friday, the Drama Department is excited to put on a student-written play.

The Orono High School Theater Department has three performances every year: a fall musical, a competitive one-act play in the winter, and a full length play in the spring. The thing that makes the winter play so special is that it is performed in a region-wide competition. Normally, the Drama Club votes between previously produced plays, but this year junior Greta Rolfzen has written her own one-act, and the OHS Drama community was excited to put it on.

“This year’s one act is about the 9/11 attacks. This story follows 6 people working in the southern tower (the second tower to be hit) on the 105th floor. We see their reactions to the northern tower being attacked. We see their interactions as they try to make the best decision for their safety,” the playwright, Greta Rolfzen, said.

The play is called The Final Call. The cast consists of three men and three women and in total will be just under thirty minutes per the rules of the one-act competition.

Furthermore, Rolfzen created the play from a place of passion for the art of dramaturgy.

“For my college career I plan to major in Theater and Theater education. I hope that I will be able to find some time to write more shows as well as continue to act and direct,” Rolfzen said.

There will be a free performance of the play on January 19th at 6:00 p.m. in the OHS auditorium and all of the Orono community is invited to attend!

View Comments (1)