Orono Students Benefitting From PSEO

Sydney Govrik

Senior Anna Moen works diligently on her PSEO classes in the library.

Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) is a program in which high school students can take college courses. PSEO allows students to receive credit that counts for both high school and college. Although it may come with an increasing workload, students at Orono are finding ways to efficiently manage their time, increasing the benefits for those planning to further their education.

In 1985, the Minnesota Legislature passed Statute 124D.09 in order to promote these higher-level courses to help ease the transition into postsecondary education.

“I have been taking PSEO courses since the beginning of my junior year through the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. This semester, I am taking four courses: sociology, public speaking, computer science and occupational therapy I, which adds up to 13 credits,” senior Crystal Gettman said.

PSEO is available to students in 10th, 11th and 12th grade. Both full-time and part-time PSEO are available throughout many different colleges in Minnesota. Students can choose which option fits best with their personal schedule.

According to the Department of Education’s PSEO Participation Requirements, a student is only eligible for PSEO if they replace a class at their high school with it. Because of this, students are then allowed the option of part time or full time PSEO in which work can be completed at any time of the week and courses offered either online or in person.

“I take my courses through the University of Northwestern, St. Paul, and am currently taking lifespan psychology and medical terminology this semester,” senior Anna Moen said. “I have designated study halls at OHS where I sit in the library or go home to work on my classes.”

According to St. Cloud Technical and Community College (SCTCC), PSEO gives students the opportunity to complete their general courses and to explore different career paths at no extra cost while still remaining engaged in high school activities.

In addition to still remaining engaged in high school activities and events, these enrollment options are especially helpful for the financial stresses that tend to come with attending college. The enrollment into these courses comes at zero expense to students or school districts.

“I am going to college for free, so that is kind of nice,” senior Brooke Wooley said. “I also think it’s a good experience right now to be able to have a professor because they are definitely harder on you than a high school teacher. [PSEO] gives me an idea on what college is going to be like.”

With the Minnesota Department of Education’s statute, encouragement for students to take PSEO courses increased. In response to that, colleges and universities worked to make the transferring of credits a stress free process.

According to Minnesota State’s information page, all of the course grades linked to a PSEO program appear on a sponsoring college or university transcript and courses that are part of Minnesota Transfer Curriculum have the ability to be transferred to out of state colleges and universities to receive general education credit. Students have the freedom to continue their college education wherever they would like.

OHS has been recognized for many years as an excellent college preparatory school who offer several advanced programs, a wide selection of classes and excellent staff. Students choosing to do PSEO are preparing themselves that much more. According to US News and World Report, Orono Senior High is ranked 2nd in the state of Minnesota in the College Readiness Index.

“Between juniors and seniors, we have nine students doing full time PSEO this semester and about 20 doing part time,” OHS counselor Jamie Menne said.

Although there are several options in order to receive credit for college before a student attends, these enrollment options continue to appear more and more appealing to students. Students and staff are understanding and reaping the benefits that come with PSEO. They are also seeing how it is different from Advanced Placement courses offered at the high school.

“When you take a college level course and you finish it, you automatically get college credit for it. There is not a ‘depending on your score’ factor like AP exams have,” Menne said.

Not only are students receiving college credit, but they are involving themselves in an environment different from what they are used to. Students pushing themselves to commit to these enrollment options is also teaching them valuable life skills.

According to SCTCC, PSEO is a life changing experience which teaches kids to take responsibility and become independent when it comes to all areas of life, like academics and situations. Taking charge of the opportunities present and becoming more self-sufficient in their studies is so beneficial for students.

“[Colleges] don’t differentiate between the PSEO students and the college students. You have to have that kind of skill set and confidence and be able to advocate for yourself in those classes,” Menne said.