Tale of two games

Spartans told two different stories.

Orono Boys Hockey

Orono Boys Hockey

Orono Boys Hockey

On Dec. 12 the Orono boys hockey team went to the St. Louis Park Rec Center to face the St. Louis Park (SLP) Orioles who are 3-2-0 so far in their season.

The Spartans came into the Rec Center with high hopes after having a successful weekend the week before.

“We felt good going into St. Louis Park,” senior Ellis Noerenberg said. The Spartans, who are 3-3-0 so far in their season, hoped for a good game against the Orioles.

The game was a back and forth game as both teams struggled to get good looks at the net or scoring chances.

10:28 into the first period, junior Joey Luedtke took an interference penalty sending the Orioles to a power play.

The Orioles capitalized on the power power. Senior, Miles Mularky scored for the Orioles getting help from senior Jacob Lukasavage, and junior Casey Plender.

“I didn’t see it [the puck],” junior goaltender, Jon Flanke said, “it was a nice shot though.”  That was the only goal Flanke allowed and recorded 17 saves of 18 shots on net.

The Spartans tried to bounce back, especially in the final period. The Spartans had a 5 on 3 power play to start the third but could not get any good looks. “That was a tough one to not capitalize on,” Noerenberg said.

The Spartans pressured and dominated most of the third but could not put one past SLP’s sophomore goaltender, Conor Klaers. Klaers faced 45 Spartan shots and saved all 45 of them.

“We caught him while he was hot,” senior Cam Knutsen said. Klaers has a .951 save percentage so far and the Spartans saw how.

“That was a tough loss,” Noernberg said, “don’t get me wrong, that goalie was good, but he saw everything.”

That Saturday, the Spartan boys hockey team had a tough match up against long time  rival, The Blake School.

“We know some of the guys on their team and that just adds to the rivalry,” senior captain, Jake Flemmer said.

The Spartans were refocused and ready to go for the Bears after the loss against SLP.

The Spartans jumped on the Bears quick after junior, Cole Goulet, scored on the power play with help from freshman, Mark Willson.

Later in the first period, junior Trip Renard scored the Spartans second power play goal with help from sophomore Jared Gherardi and junior Joey Luedtke.

“It was a good first period of hockey,” Renard said. In the second period, Blake got on the board after a power play goal from sophomore, Cade Gleekel.

The Spartans bounced back with a goal from senior,  Sam Challgren making the game 3 to 1.

In the third, the Spartans scored three unanswered goals, first with a goal from Renard right away,  followed by Goulet’s second of the day, and to add the cherry on top, sophomore David McCuskey netted one with help from senior Connor Avery.

“When we are moving the puck and moving our feet, we are a very good hockey team,” coach Kasey Yoder said.

The Spartans JV team remains undefeated. The Spartans JV team defeated both St. Louis Park and Blake easily and hope to keep it up the winning spirits and hard work.

The Spartans next couple games include, home vs. Hutchinson on Dec. 17, at Providence Academy on Dec. 19 and home vs. Waconia on Dec. 21. The Spartans will also partake in the Schwan’s Cup over winter break. They will open up against Rogers.