The Rise of Stanleys: Inside the Newest Trend

Natalie Widen

As many have noticed, the newest accessory for students is the Stanley Tumbler. Sparked from influencers on social media, collaborations with brands, the trend of staying hydrated, and simply wanting to fit it, Stanley has made a comeback in our schools, homes, and work.

While students carrying their Stanley from class to class just see it as their water bottle, teachers are noticing Stanleys more and more.

“There are Stanleys everywhere,” said Marketing teacher Keith Jurek. Jurek often will joke that students carry their Stanleys like a baby or that they are a part of the student’s outfit.

“It was like the back to school clothing thing. It was hot. It was trendy. ‘I got my new outfit for the day. And I’m going to bring [my Stanley],’” said Jurek.

In addition to high school, the Stanley craze has been seen throughout other ages.

“[Stanleys] are very popular amongst seventh graders and especially over winter break, people coming back having Stanleys,” said AP Psychology teacher Sara Ibs, speaking to her husband’s experience teaching in another school district.

Jurek also mentioned how he was surprised to hear about Stanley’s presence in post-secondary education.

“I had a conversation with a buddy of mine, and his daughter plays volleyball for Concordia. He sent me a picture of the team’s cups. There are a couple of Hydroflasks, and then six Stanley’s all around them,” said Jurek.

Not only have we seen a range in where Stanleys are popping up, but there is also quite a range of how Stanleys are making their way into our hands.

“I happened to get mine through a gift exchange with my family on Christmas,” said senior Lily Munsch.

Many others recall being influenced to purchase a Stanley by watching influencers with them on social media such as TikTok and Instagram.

“I’m very influenced by the people on TikTok and Instagram. And with all their reviews, I wouldn’t have bought a Stanley if I didn’t see everyone else buying it,” said sophomore Kayla Seely.

Simply being constantly exposed to a product by social media or by seeing so many people with a Stanley walking the halls at school, as many students cited in this case, creates the mere exposure effect.

The American Psychological Association (APA) defines the mere exposure effect as an individual preferring a stimulus due to repeated exposure of that stimulus.

Ibs described how this effect has created a change in purchasing behavior in relation to Stanleys.

“The more that you see it, the more likely you are going to want it and then change your behavior and purchase it. Once it gets to the point where you’re seeing it as frequently as Stanleys, then it becomes the ‘I need it’ instead of ‘I like it’ or ‘I just want it,’” said Ibs.

In addition, the prevalence of students with Stanleys has displayed the effect of normative social influence.

Normative social influence is when the way an individual feels, thinks, and acts is influenced by social norms and standards to conform to them according to the APA.

Students and teachers can see that in Orono, friend groups are often formed based on things students share in common, such as playing on the same sports team or other activities in common. Stanleys have a way of fitting into this idea as well. By having a Stanley, students found something in common with each other.

“I think a lot of times people want to fit in and find ways that they can fit in and one of those ways is through purchasing certain things, like a Stanley,” said Munsch.

However this doesn’t affect everyone. Many students are still staying true to their loyalties to other water bottles such as Hydroflasks, Owala, Yeti, Lululemon and many others. Stanley argues that their ever evolving technology is superior to others.

According to Stanley, “the new Quad-Vac™ technology used in the Master Series collection is unrivaled in a marketplace of look-a-likes.”

While younger generations today may only think of the bright colored Stanley’s as a new, hot product, Stanley has been in this game since 1913.

“I think of the Stanley thermos that my dad used as a farmer,” said Ibs.

Stanley has long since been known for its longevity and durability and continues to embody these principles with their new technology and designs. Many Stanley owners love the fact that their Stanley fits in cup holders or backpack pockets, in their opinion, placing the Stanley over other brands.

Not only have Stanley’s new collections of products put them on the map, but how they are marketing their products has also created a burst in sales. Collaborations with other brands, recently seen with Target, has created an obsession over getting the newest color or design of Stanley.

“I went and stood in a five hour line at Cafe Zupas opening because I wanted a Stanley with their logo on it, but I didn’t get it. My friends and I didn’t realize people were actually gonna be sleeping over to get one, so we were a little behind the curve,” said senior Ellie Wheaton.

While Stanley critics may call the Stanley Tumblers clunky or not worth the money, Stanley has managed to take an over one hundred and ten year old brand that was popular with blue collar workers bringing their Stanley thermos and lunch pails to work, and have turned it into a company earning $750 million in sales in 2023 according to Marketplace.