A Palette of Change at Orono High School: Mrs. Head, the Art Teacher

Mrs.+Head+in+her+element+
Bria Johnson
Mrs. Head in her element

They say the only constant thing is change, and this year at Orono High School, the art department is welcoming a wave of change as we say goodbye to a beloved art instructor of twenty years. For two decades, Mrs. Hudgens graced the art studios of Orono High School, leaving a mark on the minds and hearts of her students.

“One of her key legacies that I believe she left was connecting with students. She loved her students so much; she truly loved everybody,” Mrs. Head said.

The students are adjusting just fine to Mrs Head this year, and they appreciate her character and skill. Even though the legacy of Mrs. Hudgens will live on for years to come, she will be missed dearly, but OHS has found the perfect replacement to live on her outstanding legacy.

“They are both very experienced and inspire students to do their best. I have found that I have gotten to know Mrs. Head better than I knew Mrs. Hudgens, and have enjoyed being in class with Mrs. Head twice daily for painting and ceramics,” Senior student Olivia Monger said.

Adjusting to a new teacher is always hard, especially when transitioning from a beloved teacher like Mrs. Hudgens. Initially unsure of what to expect, the students were pleasantly surprised by Mrs. Head’s approach and teaching style.

“I was overjoyed to be given the opportunity to teach art here. 17 years ago, I was an art teacher in Colorado. I returned to Minnesota and worked as an ESL teacher and teacher professional development facilitator. I’ve been in classrooms for a number of years, learning from some of the best teachers here. I was excited to return to the classroom when this job opened; it’s amazing,” Head says.

Mrs. Head brings excitement and imagination into her lessons and offers a new viewpoint to the art classroom. Her enthusiasm for the arts is contagious, and her dynamic and captivating teaching style captures students’ attention.

All passions must start somewhere from childhood, a calling, or a skill developed over time. Mrs. Head’s passion for art traces back to her childhood, deeply influenced by her artistic mother. Reflecting on her early experiences, she shares, “My mother is an artist. When my older brother and I were growing up, she worked many jobs and would come home and do freelance work on the kitchen table.”

The start of Mrs. Head’s upbringing was filled with the presence of art, with family dinners often as collaborative sessions for designing and crafting graphic arts. Under Mrs. Head’s guidance, the classroom environment has become bright and energetic, with kids excitedly experimenting with different art forms.

“I’d say she’s a good teacher; she is helpful when it comes to asking for advice or tips on what to do,” Senior Payton Litz said.

Mrs. Head’s ability to encourage her students to have a sense of curiosity and determination reminds us of Mrs. Hudgens’ legacy. The art room has become an exciting space where students pursue personal growth and improve their artistic abilities. Mrs. Head continues the tradition, carrying on Mrs. Hudgens’ influence by emphasizing the importance of discovering one’s creative voice and expressing it honestly.