Preparing for Finals

Maddie Combs
Visuals Editor

With the semester coming to a close at Orono High School, students are preparing more than ever for final exams. The arguably most stressful time of the year has come once again and is leaving many students, freshmen and seniors alike, wondering how exactly they can best prepare themselves for the last (and probably most important) week of the semester.

Many teachers have already begun preparing students with vital material to ensure success on final exams. Others have assigned projects as an alternative to exams in order for students to apply and demonstrate the material they have learned in class. Regardless of what students are assigned, exam or project, it is imperative that they prepare to the best of their ability using the resources provided in order to gain the most success.

“Usually I try to study ahead of time and not go to sleep at 12,” senior Helen North said.

However, some students don’t know the best ways to go about studying effectively and significantly which will result in better performance on their exams. Here are some of the top tips from The Princeton Review that will ensure everyone’s finals week goes off without a hitch:

Create a “game-plan” for finals week: Make sure students plan out all desired study sessions for all of their exams so they get a better view of all the studying and work they are facing. Once, these study sessions have been established, write them down in a planner or put them in a digital calendar app in order to stay on track.
Begin studying weeks in advance: Students should consider studying two to three weeks in advance (or as soon as possible) before their first final so they are able to gauge how much time they will need to set aside in order to study for each class.
Study in the order of importance: Studying in the order of “a) definitely b) probably and c) might be on the final”: In order to avoid cramming and mindless studying, students should begin with content they know for a fact will be on the final. Then, move on to content that will most likely appear on the exam followed by content that may or may not be on the exam. If anything, asking teachers for a copy of previous exams could be an effective way to determine what type of things will or will not be on the exam.
Set aside more study time for harder classes: Students should review previous tests from classes that caused them more trouble, whether it be a unit or the entire semester, they should spend more time reviewing things they missed on tests and the more challenging content. When in doubt, ask for help and clarification.
Create a study group: Peer pressure can be beneficial in keeping students focused on studying. Planning out times to review class material, notes, previous tests, and practice tests can be more beneficial when two people are working together instead of one.
Talk through tough ideas: By studying with friends it can not only be fun for students, but also beneficial. When students talk through content or formulas, they process it on a deeper level which then allows them to remember it better.
Creativity can make the best study aids: Once students have prioritized the necessary information to study, using things like notecard for memorization or mnemonic devices can make studying that much easier.
Quizzing=better memory: When studying at home (or with friends), being quizzed on information students have already studied will better their memory of the content.
Sleep is a priority: Staying up all night to cram in as much information as possible before an exam can put even more stress on a student. Not to mention, the information they studied will not stick as well and may even be forgotten by the next morning.
Even the brain needs a break: While students may want to spend hours upon hours studying, taking breaks (even as short as five minutes) and engaging in something else can help improve concentration.
Brains also need to eat: In order for students to keep their brains on high alert, it is necessary to drink plenty of water and eat healthy and nutritious foods.

“Get things done as soon as you can. Don’t procrastinate, and just try your best,” senior Anna Syversen said.

Hopefully, these rather simple but important tips will ensure students are at the top of their game for the upcoming finals week! Good luck Spartans!