Do On Shoes Really Propel You Into the Clouds?

On+Cloud+shoes+come+in+many+sizes+and+styles%2C+such+as+the+CloudStratus+2+shown+in+this+photo.++
HypeBeast
On Cloud shoes come in many sizes and styles, such as the CloudStratus 2 shown in this photo.

On Running has become a leading name in the world of tennis shoes. With their unique CloudTec® technology and innovative build, it’s no wonder that as of late 2020, the company owned 6.6% of the running shoe market in the United States, according to the Finish Line website.

But what is it that makes these shoes all that? Is it the Swiss engineering model or the many vibrant colors of sneakers available to purchase?

Continue reading to discover what sets On apart and makes this brand so forward-thinking.

On’s Manifesto
According to their website, On believes that “being in motion taps into the place in the subconscious where inspiration lies. It’s called flow state: a mindset where action and awareness blur together, leaving us fully immersed in the moment.”

On is about creating products that cater to the individual needs of athletes and allow them to achieve their goals. It’s about helping each runner find their own unique stride.

The History of On
In 2010, retired paralympic athlete Olivier Bernhard wanted to create a running shoe with a unique feel. He began experimenting by gluing pieces of garden hose to the outsoles of his prototype. Caspar Coppetti and David Allemann joined his design team, and On was officially born.

On shoes were engineered in Zurich, Switzerland with the goal of becoming the “most high-performance shoe ever”. In 2010, the company won the ISPO BrandNew award, indicating that On shoes were one of the most popular up-and-coming products at the time. Today, over 7 million athletes in 50 countries around the world wear Ons..

CloudTec® Technology
A defining characteristic of what makes On shoes so unique is their CloudTec® technology. This is the squishy foundation of the shoe that contains large holes designed to “absorb impact, reduce strain and adapt to your running style”, according to their website.

The CloudTec cushioning compresses horizontally and vertically to support your foot right where it needs to and is the foundation for every On shoe. This technology is made from a ‘Zero-Gravity’ foam constructed by an ethylene-vinyl acetate compound that is airy, flexible, and responds to changes in height and speed.

A Shoe For Every Activity & Lifestyle
With over 25 different styles, there is sure to be an On shoe that fulfills your needs. The most popular styles are listed below:

Cloudnova: A sneaker for everyday wear & travel
Cloudswift: A running shoe designed for all distances
Cloud X Shift: A lightweight sneaker perfect for all-day wear and at-home workouts
Cloud 5: Similar to the X Shift, a lightwear shoe perfect for all-day wear and travel

My Experience with On
I have the Cloud 5 shoes in Undyed-White/White, and I can confidently say these are the best pair of tennis shoes I’ve ever owned.

I wear these shoes mainly for school and working out. While the Cloud 5s are not advertised as a shoe for intense exercise, they give my ankles and feet ample support and fit perfectly. I ordered size 6.5, so I’d recommend ordering true-to-size if you purchase a pair of Ons.

I’ve worn these shoes for upwards of 12 hours. While my feet tend to get sore after extended periods of time, I’ve never felt any discomfort wearing my Cloud 5s.

If you’re in the market for a stylish pair of tennis shoes that will last, you’ve found your pick.