The ultimate celly for the Spartans

MN Prep Sports

The OHS boy’s hockey team poses with their fans after winning the championship.

The battle for the puck was heating up; moving quicker than ever. The countdown began: “Three … two …”and before “one” could be chanted by the roaring student section, helmets, gloves, and sticks went soaring into the air. Twenty boys’ dreams became reality on Saturday, March 10, as history for the Orono Boy Hockey Team was made winning their first-ever State Championship at the Xcel Energy Center.

The 2017-18 team, ranked no. 1 in their district, ended the season with 23 wins, seven losses, and one tie. Senior Jack Suchy led the team with a total of 60 points; however many of the players had an enormous impact on this team’s success.

The dedication and brotherhood these players attain started over 10 years ago when they first stepped foot on the ice. 11 of these players passion and efforts helped them win several Bantam A championships, which ultimately contributed to their final win against Alexandria, ending with a 2-1 win.

The Spartans led the game with the first goal scored by Thomas Walker. That lead would not last as Alexandria player Jack Westlund soon tied it up. Not until the seventh minute of the third period did that score change, when junior forward Landon Wittenberg scored the game-winning goal, leaving the rest of the Spartans with an unforgettable memory that will be a story to tell in the Orono community for many years.

“It was such an unbelievably special season for me. Not only because we won a State Title, but also because I did it with the boys I grew up playing hockey with. Playing alongside my brothers in front of the loyal student section at the X was a surreal experience and it was an amazing way for me to end my high school career,” senior captain Thomas Walker said to describe the rush of the moment.

Walker along with nine other hard-working seniors were able to end their high school hockey careers as champions. Many of these boys would refer to this as their childhood dream.

“You know, when I was skating on my pond in my backyard as a kid, I think this is a little bit better than that. You dream about something like this forever,” Walker said in an interview with the Pioneer Press.

“The seniors set this goal years ago. They worked hard every day starting in june at STP and carried the hard work all the way through Saturday’s game. They were instrumental in the teams success and were such a fine group to coach. I will miss them,” first year varsity coach Will Scholz humbly shared.

The unique skill and effort this team proved over the course of the week led to four boys, including seniors Thomas Walker and Jack Suchy along with juniors Jack Kubitz and Danny Eckerline, being selected for the all state tournament that will take place later this year.

This team came into the game with nothing but full hearts for the game of hockey. The Spartans knew this class A title belonged to them, as the video Spartan Existence, on youtube, was created featuring the players to show the derive in each of their voices proving that this was their turn to be on top and in the end were able to sweep away the final win.

“Our number one priority was definitely to win the tournament, but next in line was to make the all hockey hair team. It is nice to have something else for the players to focus on,” said junior defenseman Zach Adams.

The “lettuce” on their head is what the second competition of the tourney has come to. Not only were these boys able to enjoy the great feeling of success, but many of them and their luscious locks were also featured in the well known all hockey hair team. This viral video produced by Game on! Minnesota, has become a secret goal for many players to be featured in during the tournament.

The hockey team will be saying their goodbyes to 10 loyal seniors, but the 2017-18 will never be forgotten. They will not just be remembered for winning the championship, but also for the bonding friendships they have built.

“They worked hard, were coachable, and had fun. I couldn’t have asked for a better group of young men to be around,” Scholz concluded.