Orono Students Represent at WE Day

On Nov. 8, WE Day celebrated its fifth year of inspiring students in Minnesota. The event, that took place at the Xcel Energy Center, revolves around empowering youth with the idea that they can change the world. The WE Charity, which puts on the event, was founded by brothers Marc and Craig Kielburger when they were in seventh grade. Their goal was and still is to free children and their families from poverty and exploitation around the globe. This idea then evolved to connecting youth back at home to these issues.

The event always includes a day full of inspirational speeches from celebrities and others making a difference in the world. Speakers such as Selena Gomez, Seth Rogen, Macklemore, and Shaquille O’Neal have taken the stage in the past at WE Days around the world. This years event included appearances by Ann Curry, Muhammed Ali’s daughter, Rasheda Ali, Margaret Trudeau and multiple others. The day also included musical performances by Grace Vanderwaal, Jessie Reyez, and the Kenyan Boys Choir (known for their performance at former president Barack Obama’s 2009 inauguration).

However, students can not simply buy a ticket to the event. They have to earn it. Students can earn the tickets by completing one local and one global action relating to a social justice issue. Once again reinforcing the Kielburger’s philosophy of kids ability to change the world.

The event was attended by OHS AP Environmental Science classes, or APES. Students in the class complete a service learning project at the end of each school year that earns the tickets for next years classes to attend. This year, Orono played a special role in the event as seniors Andy Baran and Alex Berger, along with the APES teacher Ms. Kehret, got to take the stage and talk about the service learning project they did their junior year. Their project revolved around increasing organic recycling with local businesses.

“It was humbling to be amongst and speak to some of the kindest and most selfless students in the whole state” Baran said.

Students left the event feeling inspired to make a difference in the world, and empowered by the Kielburger’s philosophy that age is only a number when it comes to doing so.