Juniors to take the PSAT/NMSQT

Alberto Garcia

Hand completing a multiple choice exam.

Juniors who have registered online will take the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test, this Wednesday from periods one to four. While the test is not required for college applications, it will still help students prepare for the SAT and qualify for the National Merit Scholarship Competition.

Testing will begin at 7:50 am and will end between 11:15 and 11:30 am, according to guidance counselor Shana Borgen. The day will follow a regular, non-Spartan Hour schedule; however there will be no bells or Snack Break. Room assignments are posted on the guidance and main office windows. Students should have received emails with their assignment details as well.

The PSAT is composed of three sections–Reading, Writing and Language, and Math. Because it is just the preliminary SAT, it is shorter than the SAT and does not include an optional essay. The reading section allows 60 minutes for 47 questions, the writing and language portion allows 35 minutes for 44 questions, and the math section allows 45 minutes for 31 calculator questions and 25 minutes for 17 non-calculator questions, according to CollegeBoard. The total test is 2 hours and 45 minutes long.

While a perfect SAT score is 1600, a perfect PSAT score is 1520, according to Kaplan Test Prep. On both tests there is no penalty for guessing.

Of the estimated 1,600,000 entrants, 50,000 high-scorers will qualify for National Merit Scholarship recognition. 34,000 will receive Letters of Commendation and 16,000 will be recognized as Semifinalists. Semifinalists will receive application materials, and if requirements are met they will advance to Finalist standing. From that narrowed pool, 7,500 National Merit Scholars will be selected and offered corporate-sponsored, college-sponsored or $2500 Merit Scholarship awards, according to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.

On test day, the College Board recommends students bring a calculator and two No. 2 pencils with erasers. Calculators with internet connections, electronic devices, rulers, highlighters and pens will not be allowed in the test room. Food and beverages, including water, are not permitted.  

To prepare for the test, Borgen said that students should sleep well the night before and remember to eat breakfast the morning of the test.