Dance starts winter season

After an enticing fall season, the dance team is transitioning into their winter season with high expectations.

“The fall season is more laid back, with time for all of us to bond,” stated senior captain Catherine Braunschweig. Winter dance is more intense season because it includes competitions.

The practices were a big change as well with the transition from fall to winter. Senior captain Madi Hyde said, “Three hour practices take place every weeknight as opposed to every other day during fall season.” At practice, the girls run through both jazz and kick numbers.

A new addition to the Orono dance program this year has been the junior varsity team. “In past years, girls who didn’t make the team would sit and watch competitions instead of being involved,” stated senior captain Rachiel Kennen. The addition of a JV team has allowed more participation from all levels of ability.

“The JV team is going to make our program grow and give all girls equal opportunity,” said Braunschweig.

The varsity team did very well in sections last year but came just short of making state. With many returning members of the varsity squad, the team is very excited about the season ahead. “Our goal for the season is for the program to grow and to improve but ultimately to make it to state,” stated Kennen.

Mound High School has been very successful in its dance program. “Our biggest rival in our sections is Mound, and beating them would be awesome,” said Hyde.

A big part of dance is the song selection. The team’s songs this year include “Soul Company (Remix)” by HOGNI and “I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Remix)” by Whitney Houston. Kennen said, “‘Soul Company’ is very fierce and brings out our passion for dance. ‘I Wanna Dance With Somebody’ is very upbeat.”

The Orono dance team’s first competition is an invitational taking place Dec. 3 at Chaska High School.

Conor Borgert is the Sports Editor for The Spartan Speaks.