Boys soccer team rallies around teammate, aims for State

With high aspirations for the season ahead of them, Orono boys soccer has started off the season with a 8-6-2 record. With many players returning from the state tournament bound team last year; the experienced Spartans are setting their sights high for this year.

Senior captain Will Fraser stated, “Our game against Higher Ground Academy proved the type of soccer team we are capable of being. We can only go uphill from here.” The Spartans started off a little iffy, but have been climbing in the right direction as they have been undefeated for the last five games.

Though the Spartans have started to turn their season around from a slow start, many members still feel an important piece of the team is missing. In the early stages of summer as the team was beginning to develop its chemistry, improbable news struck the team. Senior, and captain, Nick Manzoni, who received All-State honors and State tournament All-Tournament Team honors as a junior in 2010, was diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma, an extremely rare type of cancer.

Senior captain William Semsch explained, “I was at Ben Stavig’s house when Nick called us and let us know he might have cancer. It was initially impossible to believe this happened to my best friend.”

Discovering new roles has been a big part of establishing success this season. Senior Mason Whitney touched on the fact that, “We were confused on who to give the ball to at the beginning of the season. We were used to relying on Nick making crazy plays but now we are learning we need to work as a team.”

The team has gradually made improvements throughout the season. Head coach Brad Carlson respected the fact that, “It took a while for the guys to realize that Nick wasn’t going to play with us, but now we are learning how to handle and address the situation.”

The loss of Manzoni for the season has led the boys soccer team in a route of inspiration. Players made customized headbands with Manzoni’s initials on them which they wear both on dress up days and at games. “Every game we play is dedicated to Nick,” said Semsch.

The community is aware of Manzoni’s condition and a soccer fund raiser has been taking place during home soccer games. A raffle… for what you may ask? “The largest chair you have ever seen,” explained junior Noah Schultz. The proceeds from the raffle are being donated to cancer research.

What’s next on the plate for the Spartans? “Winning state would be the ultimate goal, but returning to State is our first priority,” said Fraser. The Spartans will have a tough road towards this admiration with two current top 10 teams in their section, Benilde St. Margaret’s and Holy Family.

“Every team has its ups and downs during a season, but when playoff time comes, any team can put things together,” said coach Carlson. “This team has shown drastic improvements and is striving to reach their full potential by the playoffs.”

The stakes are set, the team is ready, all that needs to be done now is execution for the Orono boys soccer team.

Conor Borgert is Sports Editor for The Spartan Speaks