Drones: What’s Buzzing?

Photo/ Don McCullough

Mitchell Albers, Visuals Editor

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it’s a drone!

A drone is an unmanned aircraft that can be used for anything. Drones have been used for decades and up until recently were for military use only. Lately, hobbyists have created a market in commercial drone flying, giving everyone a new perspective on everyday life. Drones have been flying under the radar but now are taking off across the world.

Some do not agree with the use of drones. “Drones are an invasion of privacy,” sophomore Jane Guidera said.

The lack of knowledge the public has on the issue of drones is where a lot of the confusion sets in. People see headlines of stories where drones are being shot down or found in places where they shouldn’t be, turning their opinions against the use of drones. What the newspapers and articles aren’t telling us is that drones have many positives as well.

The amount of applications drones can be used for is astronomical. From thermal imaging helping farmers regulate their crops to cinematography in your favorite action movie or even showing houses from different angles for realty, drones can do it all.

“I heard that companies like Amazon plan on using drones to deliver packages to people,” senior Levi Schultz said.

“It depends on the situation,” senior Ben Phelps said. “ I wouldn’t want a drone flying around my house.”

When lots of freedom to flying drones is given, anyone can quickly create a problem. Luckily, the FAA(Federal Aviation Administration) regulates the laws around drones and says that in order to fly a drone, you need to be on your property or have permission from the landowner in order to fly. Other important laws prohibit flight around airports or major sporting events.

With all of these laws, one would think that drones wouldn’t cause a ruckus. The Washington Post reported over 400 military drones having crashed since 2001, pointing out many flaws as to why flying drones around the world can be dangerous.

Ultimately, what it boils down to is the future. With so many drones flying around, it’s only a matter of time until new rules and regulations are created to insure that everyone feels safe with drones around. The sky’s the limit, and with drones, we are going places nobody has ever gone before.