The Spartan Speaks Budding Journalists

Alex Rusciano, Student Life Editor

There are many young writers in the Orono School District, ready to have their words published. These students are now part of the “Budding Journalists” of the Spartan Speaks.

The Spartan Speaks would like a variety of perspectives. Mrs. Nelson and Mrs. Lallas’s class is the first group of third grade journalists. They were asked to write anything from sports to nature to school news.

The students were eager to write a story and have it published in the paper. Many wrote about subjects they participate in or are passionate about.

“Tornados. It’s my favorite thing to write about. I am a weather guy and will be a storm chaser when I am older,” third grader Jack Kanive said.

Since there were so many different interests, there are a variety of articles to read.

“I like [the newspaper] because we can do comics and they are awesome,” third grader Walter Royal said.

This was a great way for students to get their opinions out, for the entire school district to see. “It’s a way to express your feelings on a piece of paper,” third grader Estelle Atkinson said.

Each student was thrilled that they would see their names published in print.

“I want to be famous!” Mason Pankonin said. He also added that he would like to make his junior brother, Mitch Pankonin, jealous.

These students do not just write because they have to.

“It comforts you. While you write it takes away your stress. It is fun to make your own stories,” Victor Ruhland said. Miles Miner added that writing can be very creative.

The staff of the Spartan Speaks must make certain deadlines for their articles because the stories need to be relevant. Through this process with the budding journalists, they had a short time frame to write, similar to an everyday journalist.

The goal was for the students to experience being a high school journalist.

“It helps us learn about our abilities of writing and we can look back at memories,” third grader Anabel Miller said.

Every journalist must have a visual with their story. Every third grader was asked to draw a picture that related to their article topic to draw readers to their article and make it more interesting.

There was laughter and smiles when each student finished their article. The budding journalists are now an important new addition to the Spartan Speaks.