Ricky Fowler Wins The Players in Aggregate Round

Tiger Woods stats from the tournament.

Online

Tiger Woods’ stats from the tournament.

Alex Rusciano, Student Life Editor

This year’s The Players championship was held at Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. The weather was at a great temperature of 82 degrees with sunny skies. It was a great weekend for golf.

The tournament started on Thurs. and consisted of four rounds each day, ending on Sun. The winner of the tournament received $1.8 million. Unfortunately, The Masters champion Jordan Spieth did not make the cut into the championship, missing it by three shots.

Spieth said that he just did not play well this week and has not practiced enough since The Masters. After his two rounds, Spieth realized that his friendly rivalry with Rory Mcllroy was now a real one. Mcllroy finished in eighth place.

Tiger Woods struggled throughout the weekend and ended in 69th place. After his recent breakup with skier Lindsey Vonn, Woods isn’t having luck in his golf game or relationship. He had a few nice shots but found it difficult to keep the ball in play.

The worst hit of his weekend was on Sat. It was hole two and Tiger hooked the ball to the left, barely making to the women’s tee on a par five.

Throughout most of the fourth round, Sergio Garcia was in first place at -11. Eventually, Garcia, Rickie Fowler and Kevin Kisner were tied at -12 after 18 holes. Garcia is the 10th best golfer in the world, followed by Fowler at 13th and Kisner at 125th.

The three men then had to play a three hole aggregate playoff to determine the winner. This means that they had to play holes 16, 17, and 18. All three players did not make it into the fairway on hole 16 but finished the hole with fives.

Hole 17 was a difficult par three with the green in the middle of a pond. Fowler and Kisner both shot a bogey and Garcia pared. On the 18th hole, all three pared the hole.

Garcia finished in third place. Fowler and Kisner had to go back to hole 17 for a sudden death round. Fowler wins the championship with a birdie. Fowler not only gets $1.8 million, he will get several exemptions into upcoming tournaments such as The Masters.