Spring Sports Preview

Katie Berrel

Junior Jake Hartman winds up to throw a strike

Will Dittrich, Sports Editor

Spring sports officially started on Feb. 23 with the annual spring sports night. With eight different teams all starting their season soon, it will be a hectic last few months at Orono High School. All the sports teams return high end talent and all are expected to compete for State tournament appearances.

Boys Baseball

The Spartans graduated many quality players last year, but are expected to contend with the best of them this year. Orono will be challenged by the Delano Tigers who are coming off of a state tournament appearance from last year. The boys are coached by Bucky Mieras.

Katie Berrel

Boys Lacrosse

The boys lacrosse team have big expectations for the upcoming season. They are coming off a season in which they had a good record and in which they competed with some of the best teams in state. “We have the ingredients to make it back to state and will be tested early with our strength of schedule right away,”  senior middy Cooper Tokar said. They will have to go through two time defending state champion Eden Prairie to make it back to state. The boys are coached by Josh Scott.

Girls Lacrosse

Ending their season last year dissatisfied by a loss to Minnetonka in sections, the girls of OWL plan to have a victorious season. Most of the team’s starters are returning along with a new blend of underclassmen. They will be lead by senior Catherine Fraser and they are coached by Allison Sisk.

gth_5036 resized

Girls Softball

The girls softball team is the only returning spring team to be coming off of a state tournament appearance from last year. After having a tremendous year, the girls lost two all-state caliber players: Becky Smith and Hannah Bergh. This year the Spartans lack the depth that they had in previous years but believe that they will be able to build off of the players they have this year. “This could be a rebuilding year but will still be super talented, I’m very excited to see what the season holds,” junior shortstop and captain Emily Geelan said. The girls are coached by Mike Carter and Jack Thibault.

039

Boys and Girls Track

The boys and girls teams are hoping to have another great season. There were many individual runners that made it to state. The girls lost some runners as well as the boys to graduation. The Spartans are coached by Justin McCoy.

00000053 resized

Girls Golf

Orono girls golf is hoping for another solid season this year. Coming off a season in which they got second place in conference, the expectations are high for this team. The girls have a lot of talent led by senior captains Renae Larson, Haley Sawatzke and Meghan Swanson. Junior Alex Rusciano will round out the top four. The girls will be traveling to Waconia on April 14 for their first match to take on the Wildcats. They are coached by Gary Severson.

IMG_5772 resized

Boys Golf

The Boys golf team graduated many of their great players last year, but they will having senior captains Trip Renard and Thor Parrish. Junior captain Kalvin Danielson is returning for a chance to win the conference once again. They are coached by OHS social studies teacher David Herring.

THOR - golf

Boys Tennis

The boys tennis team is expected to contend once again for a Wright County conference championship. They will be led by senior captain Nick Weins. Weins missed all of last year with a leg injury and is very excited for the season ahead. “I think we have the potential to surprise a lot of teams this year and build on our success from last year,” Weins said. The team is coached by Tim Arnold.

_DSC3563 resized