The DECA Bug

Alex Rusciano, Student Life Editor

Working on my DECA project, for many months and too many hours, was worth every minute spent on it. Orono’s marketing teacher, Keith Jurek, told me that I would get the “DECA bug” when I was presenting my project in front of two judges. At first I thought that this so-called “DECA bug” was not an actual feeling, but soon I learned on Jan. 26 and 27 that it was.

Before I presented, I wondered what our judge would be like. Jurek said that our judge could either smile and give feedback or have a straight face and never say a word. I knew that I couldn’t focus on the judge too much because the actual presentation and the 30 page paper is what really counted.

I had been working so hard for this and I knew that if I didn’t move on to the state conference, I would be disappointed in myself. My partner, Will Perry, and I were ready to present bright and early at 7:45 am. We both knew our business inside and out and we could easily talk about it for ten minutes.

Weight was lifted off my shoulders once our presentation was over and the DECA bug was with me. The only thing that I had to worry about was my name to be called at the Grand Awards Lunch. Four long hours later and the awards finally started. My event was called third to last and I sat at the edge of my chair the entire time. I thought about the project and was confident that Will and I would walk up onto the stage.

My event finally came around and I remember my eyes widening. After the first two groups were called up, “Rusciano and Perry,” came over the speaker. All the hard work paid off, and now we will have to work even harder to improve our paper and our presentation to place in the state conference in one month. Jurek was right, the DECA bug motivates me to give it my all on my project and to have my name called at the state conference.