Color Coding Helps Students Stay Organized

Students choose from varieties of colors for a certain subject in school.

Alex Rusciano, Student Life Editor

When deciding which folder colors to choose for classes, students have a specific color in mind. Associating a colored folder for a class helps students keep organized during school. When the student opens there backpack in a certain class, they think of a color that associates with that class.

Many people have different preferences for a color in each class, some people have similar colors in mind, and some do not. Color has long been used to create feelings that are pleasant and cozy and can also have effect on mood.

How people are affected by different color stimuli varies from person to person. Some people choose certain colors because they are “warm” or “cool” and other people choose colors because they remind them of something that relates to that color.

Color can also depend on ambient temperature. People who live in a colder climate usually prefer colors that are warm like yellow and orange while people who live in a warmer climate prefer colder colors such as blue and green.

A poll was given to students at Orono High School and asked which folder color they prefer for science, math, english, social studies, and a language class. Below are five charts that indicate which color was preferred for each subject.

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 7.56.43 PM

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 7.57.04 PM

Below are just a few reasons why a student could associate there folder with these colors. Results from the poll are varied and it shows that many people match certain subjects with a color.

Colors are often associated with different meanings.
Alex Rusciano