Respect Valued in Orono Community

Shannon Crosby, Business Manager

Respect is not something that is given; it is something that has to be earned. Here at Orono High School, respect is something that is valued by many, abused by some and longed for by our community.

Respect can be seen in many different ways looking out for a friend, not talking back and a simple please and thank you. It can also be abused in some ways disrespecting others, getting involved in others business or just being plain rude.

In regards of being disrespectful, students mainly do it as a joke. “Most students who are being disrespectful are just joking around. I don’t think they really know how their actions affect others,” senior Chris Lecy said.

Students at Orono High School (OHS)  show their respect in many ways; students have been seen to clean up after others, volunteer and help others in need. Students find thrill in things they care about.  However, when it comes to things they don’t care about as much, the disrespect in students appear again.

“Whenever I see other students being disrespectful, I do my best to lead by example. If I am in the situation where someone is being disrespectful, I step up and stop it,” junior Sage Petrusa said.

Faculty and students view disrespect the same for the most part. The majority of students view it as hurtful, rude and immature.

“When I am disrespected, I feel hurt. People do not realize that we [teachers] are humans too. Everyone’s actions affect people individually,” English and journalism teacher  Kyle Ann Herring said.

“I feel hurt, but particularly when I know I have done nothing wrong to earn that disrespect,” associate principal Caryn Boyd said.

Disrespecting teachers, peers and faculty is extremely harmful. Some students do not realize the pain they are causing others. Even when they think it is a joke, many feel the urge to take it personally.

The high school should be a place where students are allowed to express themselves in many different ways. Disrespect is something that seems to always interfere. At times, disrespect can make the goals of others hard to reach. This should not be like this at a high school age group. A building filled with students who are fourteen and older should be mature enough to know wrong from right.

“I don’t think students are trying to be malicious all of the time. However, they seem to not see the after effects of a “joke” or “teasing” a friend,” Herring said.

Usually when students know they have been disrespectful the outcome goes one of two ways; either the student comes forward and is honest about what they did or they try and hide it and not take responsibility.

“I feel the number one way students can show respect is by taking responsibility for their actions and choices. I have more respect for someone who makes a mistake and steps up rather than someone who is more disrespectful by not owning it,” Boyd said.