Naviance offers resources for post-secondary planning

Mia Doolittle

Senior Pete Makarov logs onto Naviance to search for colleges.

Mia Doolittle, Copy Editor

Naviance is a service designed to help students plan for college and careers. As a post-secondary planning tool, Naviance is available to middle school and high school students in Orono Schools.

Middle schoolers at Orono have access to this tool; however, the periodic use of Naviance does not start until freshman year.

“Freshman year students use it maybe a couple of times, sophomore year they use it a little more, and by junior and senior year, students are using it regularly for post-secondary planning,” guidance counselor Shana Borgen said.
Students use Naviance as a tool to help keep themselves organized and constructed.

As a new addition to Naviance, PrepMe is software where students can prep for the ACT. “PrepMe is very helpful. It paces you out depending on when the date of your ACT is,” junior Kiera Nelson said.

To get to Naviance, one simply goes onto the guidance page of the Orono Schools website where there is a link to the website.

SuperMatch is also a useful tab for students. This uses search criteria to find the schools that are the best match for the student who is searching.

SuperMatch pins schools that have the qualities that one is searching for and on top of that, the site provides another list of schools that have similarities and the same factors as the schools that were pinned for an individual.

“I utilize Naviance for college planning. It helps me get my tasks done and stay organized with the list of schools I chose,” junior Grace Lynch said. “It also keeps track of things you might forget if you didn’t have access to Naviance.”

Naviance also has a tab titled Careers, which includes a personality type quiz and a section to explore careers that match your personality type and interests. This tab allows the student to create a list of careers that he or she is interested in.

Another addition to Naviance is the Success Plan. It is a plan that allows the student to set goals and tasks. Goals can range anywhere from being on the honor roll or becoming the president.

Tasks include aspects such as taking the ACT/SAT and applying to colleges.

“Naviance helped me narrow down my choices in a school by asking if I wanted to go to a private school or a non-private school, if I wanted a school with a large student body, if I wanted to be in a fraternity, etc.” junior Cole Hennings said.

For the students who have not decided on a major, Naviance has a list of every major that each school has to offer.
Virtual tours and statistics about the schools are also included. Schools will list information such as the average GPA and the average ACT/SAT scores.

These averages were accumulated from accepted students from previous years.