Students make dinner a “selfless act”

On Monday February 3, three Orono seniors are partnering with Chipotle Mexican Grill in Wayzata to raise money for a good cause.

Marketing students Tori Palm, Eloise Hrusovsky, and Pete Makarov are working to raise money for the Troncones school near Ixtapa, Mexico through DECA, an organization that helps develop a skillset necessary for students to thrive in the marketing, finance, hospitality, and management fields.

“Our marketing teacher told us about the opportunity to work with the Troncones school, and we were thrilled to help,” said Palm.

“We came up with the idea to partner with Chipotle because of the connection with Mexican food, and the school in Mexico,” said Hrusovsky. “Also, the food is delicious and it is close to our community.”

The money raised will go towards transportation to and from school.  “Families can’t afford to bus their kids to school because it costs $80 a month, so we are trying to give more kids the opportunity to learn,” said Palm.

The trio’s goal was to raise $2,500, but they have already surpassed that amount. They have partnered with the Twin Cities marathon, held a Miracle Minute, done Spartan Hour competitions, and sold Jarritos for your Amigos.  Through these efforts, they have raised more than $3,000.  “We haven’t finished since we’ve raised our goal,” said Makarov, “We are just getting started.”

From 4-8 PM, 50 percent of the proceeds at the Wayzata location of Chipotle Mexican Grill will go towards the Troncones Project if customers mention Troncones, or show the ad.

“We really want to make a connection between our communities, and we need the help of everyone to support this cause,” said Palm.

Chipotle Mexican Grill is located at 1313 Wayzata Blvd E #103 in Wayzata, less than 6 miles from the school.