The sophomore they call “Sus”

Sustacek continues to work hard and support his teammates in his sophomore season.

Sophomore Sam Sustacek or as some of his teammates call him, “Sus,” could not wait for the 2013-2014 boys basketball season to start. “In April and throughout the summer, I played on an AAU traveling team and got to play in a bunch of tournaments and games,” Sustacek said.

“In the fall, I lifted with some of my teammates and went to open gym. I could not wait for the season to get here.”

The six foot, seven inch sophomore had good reason to be impatient. After all, who wouldn’t want to be starting on a basketball team that is undefeated?

Sustacek had the rare opportunity to play on the Orono boys varsity basketball team last season as a freshman. “Playing last season has made me more confident and comfortable. I know that if I make a mistake, my teammates will have my back and stay positive” Sustacek said.

However, both he and his teammates have already seen changes in his game in just a years time.

“He has refined his post game and is much stronger,” Senior captain Andy Ten Eyck said, “He is more aggressive, confident, and has become even better defensively.”

Sustacek has also contributed offensively in the team’s first four games. According to the Minnesota Basketball Hub, Sustacek is second on the team in points per game averaging 9.2 points per game. “It is rare to see a post player who understands the game as well as he does,” Ten Eyck said.

“I think some of my strengths on the court include being physical, finishing through contact, and getting after every loose rebound,” Sustacek said.

Head coach Barry Wohler considers Susacheck’s attributes off the court to be just as important.

“He is an extremely hard worker, loves to compete and makes everyone around him better,” Wohler said, “He loves to have fun with his teammates and is very coachable.”

The sophomore center is known as being a bit goofy by his teammates. “He has a great sense of humor and is able to be competitive while still being a little bit of a goofball,” senior Ben Turnham said .

Sustacek did admit to having a consistent pre game routine that never changes. “I listen to the same playlist before every game,” Sustacek said, “The songs never change. Crown by Jay-Z and Rise and Shine by J Cole are a couple of songs on it.”

With the season started, Sustacek cannot wait to see where the team goes. “A goal for myself and the rest of the team is to win a section championship and make a run to state.”