Fall leadership conference electrifies HOLA and Senate

With a variety of activities and speakers, students plan to bring new skills to OHS hallways.

Forty-seven seconds. That is how long it took for a current, the squeeze of a hand, to pass through the fingers of a couple hundred West Metro students.

Dubbed “The Electricity Game,” this was one of the various exercises completed at the Hennepin Leadership Division Meeting. The object of the game was to pass the current through everyone in a short amount of time. The true purpose of the game was to work together as a team.

On Nov. 19, a group of students from Orono’s Leadership Association (HOLA) and Senate attended the Hennepin Division Meeting in Minneapolis. Orono, along with other schools such as Wayzata, Minnetonka, Cooper and Watertown – Mayor, are a part of the Hennepin Leadership Division. Schools throughout Minnesota are divided between ten various leadership groups based upon location.

The first speaker at the conference was Tex Ostvig, a coordinator as well as an alumni of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Ostvig gave an empowering speech to students and challenged them with various activities where leadership was key.

“Tex had us arrange ourselves by birthday,” junior Mariana Gumeniuc said. “It was difficult at first, but we got to meet other students in the process.”

Minnesota Senate member, Jeff Hayden, was also a guest speaker at the Hennepin Division Conference. Hayden spoke to conference attendees about his pathway from high school to a role in state leadership. His speech touched on different challenges he faced while working his way to the Minn. Senate such as campaigning and political obstacles.

After hearing speakers, students got the chance to take discussion down to a more personal level. When students arrived, they signed up for different ‘round table discussions,’ or smaller sessions centered around a specific leadership skill or school issue. Some of the different choices students had included school spirit, dances, student body involvement, pep fests, etc.

“The ‘round table discussions’ were my favorite part of the conference,” sophomore Anna Gilbertson said. “It was nice to hear fresh point-of-views from students at different high schools.”

As well as discussing leadership skills, students bounced ideas off of one another during the ‘round table discussions.’

“One of the most interesting ideas I heard was to have athletes support other teams in fun ways,” senior Hannah Nielsen said. “One school had their football players compete in a diving competition before a swim meet. Orono should do events like this.”

Members of HOLA and Senate will also attend a second Hennepin Division Conference in Feb. and the State Conference, where students throughout the
entire state of Minnesota will meet to learn, discuss and practice leadership skills.

Students also have the opportunity to attend the National Leadership Conference, which switches location every year, in June. This summer, the conference will be held at Disneyland in Orlando, Fla.

“I am definitely interested in attending the National Conference. It would be an amazing experience,” Gilbertson said.

After attending the conference, HOLA and Senate members wanted to continue to improve leadership at Orono by using their new insight gained from the conference.

“I think it’s important for students to organize more activities and events,” junior Lania Gustafson said. “We can try new things and don’t always need to stick to tradition.”

Students at Orono can get involved in leadership by attending events such as karaoke and dances, as well as sporting events. They can also join clubs, create new traditions and organize events.

“I think students can be great leaders by setting a good example,” Nielsen said.

With new skills, HOLA and Senate are sending a current of leadership around the school. Maybe it will even top 47 seconds.