Unified teams double in second year at Orono

Members+and+coaches+of+the+unified+team+line+up+to+be+announced+at+halftime.+

Lydia Farmer

Members and coaches of the unified team line up to be announced at halftime.

Orono schools began participating in the Minnesota Special Olympics in the winter of 2013. Tommy Ostrom, 2013 Orono graduate, was one student who helped to start this program with guidance counselor Katie Dorn to get students involved in unified sports.

“This impacted me in a way that will change me forever–I learned how to be a better leader and it helped me become a better person,” Ostrom said. “It also shaped my view on my career choice. I want to help others as my career and I experienced the joy in this first hand with Unified Sports.”

Unified Sports combines athletes with and without intellectual disabilities, and allows them to participate in various sporting events together. In March of 2013, the first ever Unified Sports event for Orono schools was held at the high school.

Not only did OHS students participate in the Minnesota Special Olympics, but students and teachers took the Polar Plunge and jumped into the freezing cold water of Lake Calhoun to stop the “R” word. “After we took the plunge, the staff was able to hang out and spend time together at a restaurant, which we usually don’t get to do,” math teacher Jesse Allex said.

Since then, Orono has started a unified flag football team and placed second in state. “Special Olympics brings different parts of the school together, which is so cool,” senior athlete Ella Trio said.

On Nov. 9, the unified flag football scrimmaged at the Minnesota Vikings training facility. Athletes also got a chance to meet some of the Vikings players.

“Playing football with these guys makes us become friends. Making new friends with people of different backgrounds makes us become a stronger community than we already are,” senior athlete Alex Greenagel said.

This winter, the unified basketball team plans to participate in the Minnesota Special Olympics again. Students can get involved by talking to Dorn or math teacher Michelle Swenson.

Getting involved also includes showing support. “Cheering our team on is the best way to get us motivated and excited to play,” Trio said. “We love the support of our fans.”

“There were countless memories from our season, such as Pierce Pennaz’s ‘game face’ he would do before a play or seeing some of the quieter kids become outgoing throughout the entire season,” Greenagel said.

“The thing I enjoyed most was the doors this experience opened for others. I look at the high school today and see that Unified Sports are now the ‘cool’ thing to do. I am happy that I was given the opportunity to help start something like this in such a wonderful community,” Ostrom said.