Captains redefine roles to better the school

What does it really mean to be a captain?

The role of a captain is being revamped in Orono High School activities.

While a captain’s responsibility has always been to be a role model to their teammates through their dedication, work ethic, sportsmanship and character, recent efforts have been pursued to ensure that sports captains are fulfilling these expectations.

Although there is not an established captain behavior policy, Athletic Director Bucky Mieras and several sports captains of 2013-2014 teams are taking steps towards universal guidelines indicating what is and is not acceptable behavior for captains of sports. These guidelines will verify that all captains carry out their role as a leader in the school and in the community.

Striving to create more consistency among captains, Mieras began conducting captain’s meetings two years ago to outline the specific roles of a captain and to establish better sportsmanship and character within athletes.

Mieras said he is hoping to expand the group to captains and leaders of other extra-curricular activities as well. Mieras conducts the meetings monthly as a way to implement new ideas and monitor captains’ progress.

Through strengthening integrity and communication at the captain’s meetings, Mieras hopes to “make high school students more visible to the community” by ensuring that captains “understand that everyone is watching [them].”

In order to foster a greater overall team dynamic, captains must “be the bridge between the students and the coaches,”said Mieras.

In addition to the monthly captain’s meetings, some captains of fall sports are taking extra measures to lead their teams to greatness.

As a volleyball captain, senior Paige Broghammer recognizes that “captains are approachable leaders who can communicate to the coaches and the players.”

Although it is important to lead the team, a captain must “set a good example of what captains should do and how they should act” on and off the court,
Broghammer said.

Senior swim and dive team captain Carley Betsch has grown very “protective over the team” Betsch said. By reminding “them [what] is important, to have fun, and to leave it all in the pool,” Betsch said she has reevaluated her role as a swimmer. “I’m like a mom now.”

Whether leading warm-ups or cool-down runs, senior boys cross country captain Eric Bakken has recognized his role as a captain.

“It is important and a big deal,” to lead the team, Bakken said.

Bakken said he hopes that by emphasizing a captain’s responsibility this season, his leadership will help “build the underclassman and team for next year,” Bakken said.

Margeaux Dittrich is the Editor in Chief- Content for The Spartan Speaks