Flu season invades fall and student lives

Most people know the kid in class who seems to have a constant cold. This year, there are even more ways to protect against illnesses, specifically the flu, and all of the mayhem illnesses bring.

An additional vaccine has been added to protect against a fourth strain of the flu. The new vaccine is called Quadrivalent. “Each year, the viruses are bad for different reasons, but last year was the worst,” Orono High School nurse Ann Turner said.

Many vaccines include egg as a part of the mixture; that means people with egg allergies are unable to get vaccinated. “I have an egg intolerance for the shots, so I choose not to get them,” Orono resident Mary Pogozalski said.

This year, however, shots that don’t contain egg as part of the vaccine are now available.
A report from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that a very small percent of people get sick even if they get the flu shot. Possible side effects of the flu shot at the injection site are soreness, redness, swelling, fever and toughness or itching.

According to CDC reports, the flu vaccine can cause possible flu-like symptoms. The most common flu-like symptoms after getting the flu shot are fever, muscle pain and feelings of discomfort or weakness. These symptoms usually last one to two days.

The CDC reported that it takes the body about two weeks for the flu vaccine to set in. If side effects do appear, this is the time period when they would most likely occur.

Spreading illness is a big part of being sick because it can happen so easily. Many people don’t realize how easily illness can be spread.

“If people take the right precautions such as taking vitamins, washing their hands and covering their mouths when they cough, I believe it makes a huge difference in how much the virus spreads,” Turner said.

A study in USA Today showed that the vaccine for the H3N2 flu virus, which is now covered in the four strain vaccine, was most effective in children six months to 17 years old. The second highest percentage was the 18-49 year olds. The lowest age group in the study was the 65 and older group, with only nine percent.

In the same study from USA Today, it was recorded that people under the age of 65 who were vaccinated last season reduced the need to go to the doctor by one-half to two-thirds. Researchers said they had no idea why the vaccine was so significantly effective for that age group last year.

“Their immune systems are weaker, so they can’t fight off illnesses as much,” senior Ellie Wachman said.

There were many speculations like Wachman’s, but no set answer as to why it was less effective for people 65 years and older.

“This season’s flu hospitalization rates for those ages 65-plus are the highest since CDC began its surveillance system in 2007,” stated Michael Jhund in a USA Today article.

For these reasons, a specific flu vaccine was created for the 65-plus age group. The vaccine contains a higher dose and is 24 percent more effective in protecting against the flu than the regular doses.

Doctor Tim Jones, state epidemiologist for the Tennessee Department of Health, said in an interview with The Tennessean not to fret too much over all the choices of vaccines this flu season. “It is far more important that people get vaccinated with one of them or any of them than worrying a lot about which particular brand or which particular vaccine,” Jones said.

Amanda Thies is the Copy Editor of The Spartan Speaks