Students unite against bullying

Oct. 9 people around the nation wore orange to show their support for students who have been subject to bullying. Orono High School’s halls were filled with orange as students and faculty supported the cause.

According to PACER, October is known as National Bully Prevention month. PACER center first created the bullying campaign in 2006.Their hope is to create awareness of bully prevention through events, activities, outreach, and education.

Unity Day at OHS was an idea from assistant principal Karen Boyd. Boyd assigned junior Matt Hirschberg the duty of promoting Unity Day and bringing the idea to life.

“Unity Day was a great day for our school and community. Bullying isn’t a big problem in our school but there is always room for help. It meant a lot to me to be put in charge of a big day like this,” said junior Matt Hirschberg.

Posters were created and hung up in the classrooms and hallways of OHS. On Wednesday, Oct. 9 the school was filled with orange, but more importantly support for the cause.

“It was really exciting to see the staff, teachers, lunch ladies, and the janitors wear orange along with the students. Unity Day got

“It was really exciting to see the staff, teachers, lunch ladies, and the janitors wear orange along with the students. Unity Day got people thinking to stop bullying and think twice before picking on your classmates,” Hirschberg