A ‘fresh’ start

Photo%2F+Pete+Makarov+%0D%0AFreshman+Chloe+Chumbler+looks+at+the+pictures+as+she+gets+used+to+the+high+school+setting.+
Photo/ Pete Makarov Freshman Chloe Chumbler looks at the pictures as she gets used to the high school setting.

The class of 2017 has finally entered the building with wide eyes as they embark on a new challenge this school year.

“I really like the teachers and the classes,” said freshman Chloe Chumbler. “I like [high school] way better than middle school because you meet upperclassmen and have classes with different kinds of people,” said Chumbler.

During the freshman orientation, Mr. Erickson emphasized how freshman have a “clean slate” coming into the high school. “It’s refreshing and helpful” said Chumbler.

“I think the amount of people I have met in the short amount of time” is the main difference between the middle school and the high school said Chumbler.

“They are very…small,” said senior Evan Francis regarding the new freshman. “They seem like they are following the rules, which is nice,” said senior Chloe Richey. “I remember being so innocent and not wanting to get in trouble when I was a freshman” said Richey.

With the new freshman walking around it takes senior, Peter Smaron, back to when he was a freshman. “I was tall then and I am tall now,” said Smaron. “That was forever ago,” said Richey. “I remember gym and health class very distinctly because gym was the last time I did gym and health class because it was kind of uncomfortable,” said Richey.

The opportunity of being involved in clubs and high school sports are new for the new freshman this year. “In the middle school there are no clubs you can do and the sports are fun with the varsity and JV,” said Chumbler.

Chumbler is a first year dance team participant and a part of Youth in Action.  She is also thinking about joining the newspaper. “They look good for college and [are] something fun to do with your friends,” said Chumbler.

As the leaves fall in autumn, the days get shorter in the winter, and the flowers start growing in the spring, the cycle will continue. The seniors will leave and the freshman will come in and the cycle will forever trigger memories and spark the leaders of tomorrow.

Pete Makarov is the Editor-in-Chief of Online for The Spartan Speaks.