Students base college decisions on financial aid and available funds

With National Decision Day approaching on May 1, the talk of college and money is frequent among the high school community. College can be expensive, so it is essential to figure out financials to create a way to make college work for students and their wallets.

Most colleges work toward providing prospective students with financial aid information. However, it isn’t always as simple and easy as they make it out to be. When all is said and done, unless a student gets a full-ride scholarship, there is a bundle of funds to be paid.

There are multiple federal student aid providers for which students can apply. It does take some time, but in the end it could end up saving them money. FAFSA and CSS Profile are two of the most well known federal aid providers.

According to studentaid.gov, “Federal Student Aid is responsible for managing the student financial assistance programs authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. These programs provide grants, loans and work-study funds to students attending college or career school.”

CSS Profile also helps provide students with loans and grants. The CSS application is distributed by the College Board in the United States.

“My parents told me not to worry about the price of college, because no matter what, it’s worth it,” Noah Schultz said, “My decision about college was a lot easier since I didn’t have to worry about the money part.” Some students are considering long term possibilities to help them figure out how they are going to manage their money.

“I am not okay with graduating from a 4-year college while still in debt with student loans and working at a fast-food restaurant to pay off my loans, especially when the job market is how it is now,” said senior Drew Steinke. “Also, college is a big step forward in life, and as much as I’d like to think I am independent and responsible enough to graduate from college, I don’t know that for sure. Only time will tell.”

Others students are fortunate enough to have funds set aside for them. “I have a fund that has been ongoing since I was born really,” said senior Chandler Gill. “My parents and grandparents add to it each year.”

Whether a student is starting with full funding for college, or no funds at all, money is an important topic in a student’s life. As far as college goes, there are plenty of opportunities to get scholarships and student loans. Wells Fargo has a simple online application for student loans that are open to everyone, even if the student does not bank there.

For some, the cost of tuition is the most important factor on whether or not they want to attend a college. Students keep in mind that they should go where their heart takes them, but remember the real-life facts of money and how to manage in the future.

Senior Marisa Johnson said, “I know that I am going to have to figure out a lot of financials and definitely be in debt for a while, but it’s going to be worth it because I’m going where I feel I belong.”

Madeline Hill is the Copy Chief for The Spartan Speaks.