Minnesotans embrace summer music festivals

Minnesota has a large variety of music lovers, and it also has a wide range of outdoor summer concerts. Minnesota prides itself on the festival concerts that are hosted throughout the summer, the most popular of which is the Basilica Block Party, hosted by Cities 97 radio station.

The festivals are a popular spot for all music lovers. “Minneapolis is a great music scene … artists love Minnesota and the crowds,” senior Adam Bergh said. Many popular artists make tour stops here in Minneapolis; Last year some big hits at the Block Party were Imagine Dragons, Train, Mat Kearney and Cake. “Once every two years there are artists I really want to go see,” said sophomore Kerri Penke.

It’s an anticipated experience to see one’s favorite artists performing. “Imagine Dragons has so much passion for their music. It made me want to see live music; it was even better than the recording,” senior Erin Briggs said.

At the concerts there are “a lot of people having a great time: it’s relaxed, it’s nice out, everyone’s enjoying the summer,” said Bergh.

Minnesota is known for its hot summers, so Minnesotans take advantage of the little time they can spend out of doors during the year, and revel in the opportunities of these summer festivals. “Outdoor concerts are standing room only, so you get to be closer. Last year I was 20 feet away from Train,” Penke said. “I love outdoor concerts; during the school year it’s not a good idea to go out … but I try to go once a summer.”

“There’s always the one person who’s over the top – annoyingly energetic,” senior Brady Koetting said. A negative aspect of these community music gatherings are “everyone being drunk and puking. At the Train concert, it was really packed, people with cups of beer sloshing around,” Koetting said. Students interested in attending these concerts should be aware of the implications of a community party, and people going not only for the music.

For country music lovers, there is WE Fest; a large campground with lots of big names in country performing. The Basilica Block party caters to Cities 97 listeners, who are part of the indie and alternative music scene. Rock the Garden is sponsored by 89.3 The Current radio station hosting local bands and artists.

Soundset on May 26 has a variety of artist featured, including Snoop Dogg and Brother Ali. Also, the State Fair always has big names that perform at the Grandstand; this year Macklemore and Ryan Lewis will grace the stage.

“Summer concerts are one of the things I look forward to,” said Koetting. They are a great and popular activity to associate with the whole community and interact with artists performing around the state.

Tessa Ostvig is the Visuals Editor for The Spartan Speaks.

[email protected]