Seasonal affective disorder emerges from long winter

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that occurs in a majority of people, mostly women, during the winter season, according to The New York Times. Though not as common, SAD can affect people in the summer and spring seasons as well.

Causes of SAD include lack of light or sunlight during the winter months. It has been found that brighter light changes chemicals in the brain, according to the Mayo Clinic. Low Vitamin D levels in the body are also thought to cause SAD.

Symptoms of seasonal affective disorder include: an increased appetite, especially for carbohydrates; weight fluctuation; hopelessness; mood swings; lack of energy; loss of concentration; tiredness or grogginess; lost of interest in work or other social activities and in the worst cases, thoughts of suicide.

A few other names for seasonal affective disorder are winter blues, winter depression and hibernation reaction, according to Mayo Clinic’s website. The average age where SAD is first developed or diagnosed is 23.

The treatment for SAD is light therapy. There are two types of light therapy, one of which is bright light treatment. In this form of treatment the patient will sit a few feet from a box that is shining light, exposing the patient to bright lights. This treatment mimics the light exposure given from being outside and causes the brain chemicals linked to mood to change in a positive way.

Another form of light treatment is dawn stimulation. This is where a patient has their eyes closed and has a timing light shone on them which will brighten gradually, imitating a sunrise.

“Other treatments include eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, taking a vacation in the winter, meditation, relocating to a place with more sunlight and psychotherapy,” said Norman Rosenthal, MD.

The prolonged winter has increased the need for spring around Orono. “I don’t like the weather right now,” junior Ellie Wachman said. “I think winter has dragged on too long now; I want it to feel like it’s spring.”
The early April snowfall has caused many spring sports to be put on hold. “The snow has prevented my softball team and I from practicing outside and playing our games,” said Wachman. The softball team has already had four games cancelled and has yet to set foot on their new field. Baseball has also been assigned to the gym for practices and been victims of cancelled games, and the golf team is unable to practice as well.

Along with school-run programs being cancelled, traditional out-of-school activities have also taken a backseat to the snowfall. “The snow has affected the start of our Jennings Ball tournament,” junior Chandler Jacoby said. Jennings Ball is a type of basketball tournament, where students put together their own teams.

The extensive winter is beginning to take its toll on the students and activities. “I can’t focus anymore,” said Wachman. “The weather has made me constantly tired.”

Madi Arends is the Layout Editor for The Spartan Speaks

[email protected]

G1SAD0001