Many are left puzzled by high gas prices in the Midwest

Gas prices all throughout the midwest have steadily climbed over the past week.  Many in the area are left to ask why it is only happening here.

Sophomore Sam Personius said, “It is crazy, it costs me like 5 bucks to drive to school.”  With the high gas prices, many OHS students are reconsidering what they do in their free time.

Senior Will Thompson said, “I would like to go fishing, but putting gas in my boat is way too expensive.  I will just have to settle for rowing until it goes back down.”  Like others, Thompson is hoping to a quick solution to the gas prices.

The prices are being caused to raise by the biggest oil refinery in the midwest, which is located in Chicago, Ill., having some troubles.  These troubles are from the refinery going through a temporary shutdown so that the refinery can overhaul it’s equipment and operating systems.  This has caused a ripple effect, causing other areas to have gas shortages, making gas prices go up across the midwest.  The refinery is set to open up in the next week, which should bring the decline of the gas prices.

During this time Minnesota did hit an all time record for the price per gallon of gas, which has gone up to $4.39 per gallon, and could climb slightly higher before the plant reopens.

Woody Hust

Sports Editor for The Spartan Speaks