Late ice-out has many impacts on Lake Minnetonka area

The ice on Lake Minnetonka seemed to be here to stay this year, but on May 2nd the Freshwater Society (which has been recording the ice out on the lake for over 150 years) called the ice, officially out.  There are many things impacted by the late ice out this year, from the economy, to the lakes ecosystem.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MNDNR) released a statement saying, “All the lakes will have a bit of a later start on aquatic plant growth, which in turn will have an effect on how the fish that rely on them for cover that are trying to spawn now are able to survive.”  They did not say whether this would be good or problematic for anglers across the state.  On Lake Minnetonka in Particular, the fish have been biting fairly well, according to Orono Student Zach Mahan who said, “The late ice out is leaving them less food later, so they are more willing to bite, which makes for good fishing.”

Although the fishing Opener on Lake Minnetonka wasn’t affected by ice, it is still effecting how the fisherman take to the water.  Many are saying that the lake is far less crowded than previous years in terms of boat traffic.  This is in part due to the extremely warm spring that this area experienced last year, which made the lake warm up sooner, and people take to the lake sooner.

With decreased boat traffic, gas sales, lakeside restaurant visits, as well as businesses located close to the lake that rely on lake traffic for customers, are a off to a bit of  a slow start.  Anders Ekholm who works on the lake daily coaching sailing said, “Even with the nice weather on weekends, there is still far less traffic on the lake than we would normally see at this time of year.”

As the warm weather picks up and the lake starts to warm, many are hopeful for the lake life to pick up to it’s usual pace.  Senior Michael Hoeft said, “The lake is pretty chilly now, around 55 degrees (Fahrenheit) and last year at this time it was almost to 70.  I just can’t wait to get back out there.”

Woody Hust

Sports Editor for The Spartan Speaks