Tougher blood alcohol levels recommended

More than 100 countries around the world have adopted the .05 alcohol content standard, or lower according to a report by the staff of the National Transportation Safety Board.

The past few days talk has been stirred around the US capitol of this standard coming to the United States. “States should cut their threshold for drunken driving by nearly half – from .08 blood alcohol level to .05 – matching a standard that has substantially reduced highway deaths in other counties,” recommended a federal safety board member on Tuesday.

According to AP Mobile, lowering the blood alcohol level to .05 would mean one drink for a woman weighing less than 120 pounds and two for a 160-pound man would legally be considered ‘drunk’.

NTSB officials said it wasn’t their intention to prevent drivers from having a glass of wine or a bottle of beer with dinner, but for people to realize that a drinking level of .05 is the safest level for people to drive, if they are under the influence. However, alcohol concentration levels as low as .01 have been associated with driving-related impairment.

The NTSB board made its recommendation for the change on the 25th anniversary of one of the nation’s deadliest drunk driving accidents in Carrollton, Ky when a drunk driver drove on the opposite of the highway and collided with a bus which killed 27 people, 24 of them children. Time will only tell when or if this law will go into effect.

Allie Hirschberg is the Business Manager for The Spartan Speaks.