Imagination Fair sparks creativity in second grade students

Second grade student learned the inter workings of how roller coasters work.

The Imagination Fair was held in the Schumann Gym on May 8. Second grade students in the elementary school were encouraged to create a display creatively on a topic of their choice to showcase to the school and community.

The fair was an opportunity for students to explore a passion or topic in a creative way. Working with partners was discouraged. Because of this, each second grade student displayed their own individual creative thoughts and ideas.

There were many ideas explored through the fair ranging between; math, science, writing, inventions, history and art.

“I did my project on giraffes,” second grader Sophie Smith, second grader. “They are my favorite animal. Everyone can learn about them when they look at my poster.”

The projects are not judged, just open to classroom, family and public viewing. Project creators arrived between 8:15 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. to display their project. Projects are available to be seen by the public at 9:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.

Many volunteers were needed to ensure a successful event. Volunteers helped supervise the fair from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., as well as take down tables and clear the gym after the fair had ended.

“It is incredible to see what these kids can do,” parent volunteer Melissa Thompson said. “The range of topics are quite diverse.”

Taylor Peterson is the Editor in Chief for The Spartan Speaks.