Seniors declare their decisions for the future

Seniors hung up their pennants on the windows overlooking the garden. Photo/ Maddie Mayhew

On Wednesday, May 1, Orono seniors declared their path for the future. Some chose colleges spanning from Montreal, Canada to Dallas, Texas. Others made plans for travel through Rotary International or service programs to as far away as Brazil. Still more were opting to join the military or enter directly into the workforce.

The halls were decked with the colors of everyone’s college apparel, announcing to the world their plans for next year. Students were also given the opportunity to make a pennant for their school or organization to hang in the hallway entering the cafeteria.

“It was surreal, seeing everyone and where they’re going,” said senior Dan Thompson. “Also knowing how far away everyone is going to be, and that some of them we might not ever see again.”

The seniors are preparing for their graduation on June 6, and Decision Day was the first step. “It was a huge moment for our class,” said Thompson. Thompson will be attending Tufts University in the fall.

Senior Lydia Wrobel will be a part of NET Youth Ministries next year, touring the country to run retreats for Christian youth. Photo/ Maddie Mayhew
Senior and newspaper staff member Andrea Conover will be attending Augustana College in South Dakota next year. Photo/ Maddie Mayhew
Senior Jane McKown will be attending Central College in Iowa next year.
Seniors decorate their pennants and eat celebratory cake on Decision Day. Photo/ Maddie Mayhew

Maddie Mayhew is the Editor in Chief – Online for The Spartan Speaks.
[email protected]