And the winner is… Dylan Hemstock

Sparty March Madness Bracket winner, Dylan Hemstock. Photo/ Madi Arends

On April 9, freshman Dylan Hemstock, was crowned The Spartan Speaks first annual “Sparty’s March Madness Bracket” winner.

“It was surprising” said Hemstock, “It was a good feeling though too.” Hemstock has never watched a full game of an NCAA basketball game in his life. “I am not really a basketball fan”.  Hemstock won the tournament rounding out with 84 points out of 146 points possible, beating the second place finisher, Cole Goulet, by three points.

Hemstock filled out his bracket with just his gut.  No research, no analysis, and no ESPN was needed. His Final Four came out to be the top seeded Louisville Cardinals, Gonzaga Bulldogs, Michigan Wolverines, and Miami Hurricanes. His championship included, Louisville going head-to- head with Miami and he had Miami as his National Champion.

“The only reason I had Louisville and Miami in the championship team was because they were the top two seeds in the tournament.” said Hemstock.

Hemstock is the oldest child and has two siblings, a 13 year old brother and a 10 year old sister. His favourite sport is soccer but is currently playing baseball for the Spartans Freshman Team. He is outfielder for the Spartans and plans to keep playing throughout his high school career.

Hemstock is also enjoying his time here, at OHS. “There is a lot more freedom here than over at the middle school.” said Hemstock with a smile. His favourite teacher at OHS, is Mrs. Herring, his freshman English teacher and his favourite subject in school is German.

When Hemstock isn’t hitting the books or crushing the ball, also enjoys to game. “Both Call-of-Duty’s are my favourite.” said Hemstock.

If you see Mr. Hemstock in the hallway or in your class, say “Congrats” for he did place 1 out of 48 participants.

He plans to defend his championship next year and when asked if was going to do it differently next year, he simply said, “No, probably just gonna go with my gut again.”

The Top Ten Point Leaders:

1.) Dylan Hemstock — 84 pts.

2.) Cole Goulet — 81 pts.

3.) Rollie Olson — 80 pts.

4.) Kayla Johnson — 78 pts.

5.) Anna Anderson & Trevon Sladek — 77 pts.

6.) Blake Skillen– 76 pts.

7.) Taylor Peterson– 75 pts.

8.) Sam Sustackek — 74 pts.

9.) Pete Makarov — 73 pts.

10.) Logan Kinsel — 72 pts.

Photo/ Madi ArendsSparty March Madness Bracket winner, Dylan Hemstock
Photo/ Madi Arends Sparty March Madness Bracket winner, Dylan Hemstock

Pete Makarov is the Sports Editor at The Spartan Speaks

[email protected]